PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Popper head point indicator

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

rowch
Answers: 0

Post by rowch »

After a bit of experimentation and a new flyline, I have pretty much resolved my former casting woes with a 14' two fly washing line rig - floating indicator on the point.

Casting is relatively easy and accurate, with good turn over.

Aerodynamic drag was an issue. As was the stability and flyability of the indicator - max tippet length 4' from the bottom fly to indicator.

Small hard foam popper heads came to the rescue. The popper is pinned using a jig style fly hook,(supplied hooks are too long) with the popper point to the hook eye. The shank and bend (stops popper rotating) in the popper slot. A shuttlecock without feathers.

Very happy with this set up.
ACW

Post by ACW »

A rig that works for me (rather well yesterday) is a half hog on the point then a similar sised spider on 4-6 inch dropper ,4foot up from point,followed by a smaller spider on the top dropper some 4ft from the middle then 8 foot to the fly line junction .

this rig holds the two spider high in the water colum for say a minute giving the hog use aas a dry ,then a in my case a slow rereive turns the hog inot a wet fly which can take more that a few .
Yesterdays hog was chartreuse body with white deer hair wings on a #12 ,two fish on static and two on the slow retreive with the hog maybe a foot down .
if you want a full float point go for the sedgehog varient ,your choice of colurs.
There is an intersting article on half hogs in the latest trout and salmon magazine by Stan Headley who used the hog concept to great succsess fishing for the Orkneys and the Scottish international teams
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

There we go - buoyant flies with weight! I can certainly see how those hard popper heads work - thanks for that.

What is half a hog, Andy? It sounds like a hot pork sandwich.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
rowch

Post by rowch »

I use a slow sinking point fly when the fish are deeper. The floating point is an evening / early morning rig, with small to very small midge pupa. Keeps the flies high in the water and out there longer.

Not to mention Caddis pupa in the warmer months.

A metal cup over the point improves durability. Poppers occaisionally break off in the water on the back cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Another option is to fish lightweight lightly-dressed palmers and spiders on fine wire hooks in similar situations - using mono not fluoro. Soldier Palmér and anorexic-looking Bibios, Spiders with just a turn or two of hackle and maybe a lightly dressed SF throat.

I used to do a lot of this early June mornings on Ardleigh when they weren’t on dries, during wet Augusts and again in the Autumn when you think the fish are deep but they’re actually just sub-surface.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
rowch

Post by rowch »

Thanks Paul. All noted. It's coming together gradually. I have a spool of Stroft GTM for droppers. Your advice re weighted indicator prompted the popper idea. With a background in flight the rest was intuition.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Maybe if you’re having problems with the popper breaking off try gluing it the other way around? I will try this technique by the way because there is a lot of night time activity in the jungle with small bait fish and shrimp just under the surface (as in immediately below the film) and Jungle Perch are active feeding on them at times. It might be just the thing! :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
rowch

Post by rowch »

Just to clarify the popper is reversed - sharp end to eye. When retrieved it dives. On the backcast you're pulling it under at high speed. Drag increases by the square of the velocity. It gets a hiding. I'll post an image later today.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ab you’re already one step ahead of me Rowland :pirate:

Flycasting Definitions
rowch

Post by rowch »