PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Italian style of casting...

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

There are any number of 5 wts in 8ft or 7’6 in 4wt that are cheap. I’ve cast dozens from Korea in samples. I’m sure you could find a blank for considerably less than 50 bucks from any of the Chinese firms.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

So a bog standard rod then
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

I had a quick WhatsApp chat with Malik and he said that this point comes up so often that he has given up debunking it because people want to believe in magic rods if they can’t cast (my words). His view is that the technique is about the casting and that he teaches people to use their own kit. Sounds no different to any other style of casting instruction to me.

Vince
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Hey thanks for all of those replies. The short rod I have is a Scott F(ibreglass) 6’6”#3; the next is a quite poky Greys 8’6”#5. I do have a #3 DT line: I should see what I can do with that and those rods.

Andrew
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes any short medium actions 5 weight underlined with a 1 or 2WT line. You need the underlined action to make the TLT movement. The stroke is a high speed circular action. If you try that with what we might call “balanced” tackle then... well you try it :p

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Having read a translated article about TLT (http://www.flyrepository.com/boondocks/pages/TLT.pdf) I suspect the prescribed rod specification was written when bamboo or fibreglass rods were the standard. Why else would a 7’6” rod be more like a rapier/dagger than a 9’0” rod?

In so many fields, we humans love to regurgitate “truths” without testing them.

Andrew
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m pretty sure TLT was invented after carbon rods became popular, Andrew. I was first shown in yr2000 in Spain by Italian caster Pozo. Even with a fast 9ft rod I find it impossible to make the rapid TLT casting motion.

On the very first SL Board we discussed TLT at length. I’m pretty sure we were looking at the first TLT website at the time. How long it had been around prior to this I don’t know.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

The first mention of TLT appeared by the mid 70s, and the graphite area had just begun.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the article. The writing style is a bit sophisticated, and there are some mechanical misconceptions. Yes, a TLT rod is more a lever than a spring, but to me it is just a stiff spring, a #3 competition rod for instance. I do not think it is more efficient than more classic rods for the same line, it is just adapted to fishing circumstances. Most explanations appear to me relatively fuzzy and more conceptual than actual. Nevertheless the TLT got some success.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I have no issues with the technique at all. I would remember that the rod bends - even relatively stiff (“underlined”) ones, hauling has addition benefits and it’s not a technique for casting at Snakehead :p

However in keeping with this thread I think if you are going to explore TLT from a practical point of view then you have to use underlined short rods - ie TLT tackle. Whenever I’ve watched TLT casters and tried their tackle I’ve been struck by how fast the movements are. It’s a different feel that you won’t get with longer or softer tackle. The technique evolved around this tackle so this should not be surprising.

Chris Rownes knows TLT better than I. Once we were teaching a class in Berlin together and he was asked to teach it. Undortuntely the best he could do was underline a 9ft rod and describe the movements because we didn’t have the appropriate tackle.

If you underline a fast short rod then you’ll know exactly what I mean. Take a 5wt 7’6 and try to cast a 2WT line. Without hauling you’ll be forced to cast TLT style.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”