PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Australian Casting Academy

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

John Waters
Answers: 0

Post by John Waters »

I am very pleased and proud to announce that the Australian Casting Federation’s Casting Academy will start in 2019. It has had a lengthy gestation but now that it has received support from a number of Australians involved in fly fishing, fly casting, plug and surf casting, it will kick off next year. I am very proud to have been involved in this concept and want to acknowledge the support and assistance I have received from many who contribute to this site. It is not just the posting of information here, but the followup emails that are proffered without prejudice or ulterior motives, that have provided me with additional information, alternate views and followup in respect of all aspects of casting. I also want to acknowledge the the friendships that I have made with casters from all over the world, starting with my first World Championships 1973, attending training camps and coaching seminars as a guest of national associations, and just meeting and talking to like minded people who have a common interest helping others reach their casting potential.
I don’t know how, if at all, the Academy will develop, but what I do know is that all of us - casters, fly fishers, coaches and instructors involved to date have had to examine our coaching philosophies, instructional methodologies, presentations and dialogue, casting backgrounds, knowledge and most importantly, our commitment to the sport and teaching.
I was very impressed with the work done by British casters, judges and administrators at this year’s World Championships in Fly Casting in Cumbria and from afar, I see a common thread in the casting tuition programs and events conducted by the BFCC. That genuine interest in Casting Sport also is reflected in UK surf and plug casting and the people who follow those aspects of our sport. Our sport has existed worldwide since the 1800s and peak bodies at an international and national levels have the custodianship of our future engagement, involvement and growth. However, the engine room of our sport has always been, and will continue to be, individuals who have a passion for casting. It does not matter if that manifests itself on a casting court, a stream, lake or ocean shore. It is the passion that is important and I want to thank all of you who have shared their passion for casting with me. The Australian Casting Academy will be a new and innovative channel through which we can share and grow our passion for casting, inclusive of tournament casters, fishos, and anyone of a like interest, downunder.
As I said, I have no idea how the concept will evolve, or where it will take those involved, but I do know that whatever the future, it will be determined by that passion.
Thanks again to everyone, I apologise for getting a tad philosophical for an irreverent Australian. Gotta’ go now, I have to test a new leader.

Best wishes to all for the New Year,

John

John
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Awesome John!
Good luck and best wishes.

Cheers, Bart
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Bart, and ditto to you with your objectives in the Netherlands.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s fantastic John. Hopefully we can have some comps in SE Asia and Australia together. Have you got one planned for next year? A group of us from Malaysia are hoping to attend the FIPS-Mouche comp in Tas and no doubt I’ll hang around and fish a while afterwards.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Paul, looking forward to kicking off a few instructional and event initiatives this year. When will you be in Tassie? I am sure we can arrange an event. Maybe a casting clinic or a casting tournament, or both.
We will add our Scores to the UK and Dutch database, if you can trust anything submitted by blokes of convict heritage.

John
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Great staff John. Hopefully intrest in fly casting will grow in Australia.
Have you decided on any dates for the SCC?
Cheers
Mike
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

We have a draft syllabus out for discussion, the Southern Cross Challenge is down for Saturday, 17th August Michal.

John
Michal Duzynski

Thank you John.
For me it is a perfect date. Love it and I will be there.
Cheers
Mike
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

It will be interesting to see the outcomes Michal, the sport is small here and that represents the very small percentage of the fly fishing fraternity. What I am keen to do is offer fly fishers a channel through which the casting instruction and casting coaching tenets used in the casting world can be made available in Australia. Two affiliate programs called Casting For Recovery and Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Australia are also a focus and through both, casting events will be organised. Schools and youth group organisations are a source of future casting participants but it all depends on the number of volunteers making their time available to grow the sport.

John
Michal Duzynski

Looking forward to it John.
Are you starting in Melbourne only, or is it already Australia wide?

Mike

Return to “Flycasting”