PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

General size of a tight loop

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s excellent Jason - thanks. On these very long (~90’ carries) because of loop morph I think that you have to start with a slightly widerr loop otherwise the legs collide.

It would be great to see that loop above completely unroll :)

Hope you are well my friend!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jason Borger
Answers: 0

Post by Jason Borger »

I'll have to shoot some longer casts this season with my new 4K slo-mo cam (that would be my new iPhone :laugh: ) and try to get the full cast to finish within the frame. There I just wanted enough to see obvious morph, but wasn't too focused on the end result. Have to be sure I get it all lit well enough to see everything cleanly that far back.

I may need to get back into a lifting regimen for 90-foot carries again. There was a time....

Got my daughter a new rod and my son is ready for an Echo Gecko now, so this season will be fun!

J
Paul Arden wrote:That’s excellent Jason - thanks. On these very long (~90’ carries) because of loop morph I think that you have to start with a slightly widerr loop otherwise the legs collide.

It would be great to see that loop above completely unroll :)

Hope you are well my friend!

Cheers, Paul
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve got some unrolling ones filmed while standing on a log, but the camera was moving! https://youtu.be/ozVkwFTKVC4 The loops sharpen up right at the end - and some tail :D I’ve often argued that the prefect force application for a distance casts hovers right on the verge of tailing.

That’s great news that your daughter is ready for her first fly fishing rod! It won’t be long now and you’ll be bringing the family over for s Snakehead trip :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Tails still need the uneven tippath(wich comes from faulty application of force) , and we don't want that do we :D
But I agere, the flatter out tippath gets, the gloser we get to an uneven tippath in the other direction, and a tail.

https://vimeo.com/26691605

Not slowmo, but steady cam and a full unrolling to 130+

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: But I agere, the flatter out tippath gets, the gloser we get to an uneven tippath in the other direction, and a tail.
Sorry Lasse, I don’t understand your point, please could you expand on it?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think it’s too early a power spike. So it’s not how the force is applied but rather when :p

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

That is exactly how the force is applied dude, and knowing your cast, its also a timing issue :D

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote: But I agere, the flatter out tippath gets, the gloser we get to an uneven tippath in the other direction, and a tail.
Sorry Lasse, I don’t understand your point, please could you expand on it?

Regards

Vince
Man that was a piece of crap there, new phone, new prediction app :blush:

I mean as we get a flatter tippath (straight doesn't happen in the real world where most live, excepts Instructors as Paul says) it gets easier to dip it, as we are increasing the force, and putting it at the right place, a little too much then and we have a situation. If we have a much more domed tippath, a little too much force at the wrong time doesn't do as much damage, as its a crap cast anyway :D

We need the uneven application of force for the wave to be made in the line, the closer we are to accelerating the line in two major directions the worse the tail :cool:

Cheers
Lasse

VGB

Post by VGB »

Ok, thanks Lasse, I think I get that.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
askel

Post by askel »

There is always a way to find an excuse instead of explanation. "Mom, I didn't mean exactly that. I said I'll do that in certain conditions not like always."

Return to “Flycasting”