PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

1/2WT heavier lines

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

bartdezwaan

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by bartdezwaan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Tor and Bernt are the only ones using rods that has said 8 or higher to win
Hi Lasse.
Dimtri also uses a #9. I don't know who won the other one.
It would be interesting to see what rods all the top 6 finishers where using.

Anyway, I am not trying to find my right. Maybe one day we will all agree on this ;)

Cheers, Bart

Lasse Karlsson

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Cool, I remembered wrong them, was sure it was a guideline 7 in Estonia :blush:

Nevertheless, I don't mind either, it's just the "stiffer rods casts further" being thrown around so often, that you'll get tired of it.
Paul often says that of you over line your rod, you bought the wrong rod, and then writes either 5 or 10 on the same blank :D

Half weight lines and shite :p

Cheers
Lasse

PS. Just dug out the numbers I did way back, so better post them here:
5 rods of differing ERN

Sage XP 590: ERN 5,5 AA 70
Sage TCR 590: ERN 7,4 AA 72
Streamstix T5: ERN 9,0 AA 75
Echo ION 1090: ERN 11,6 AA 75
Echo 3 1290: ERN 13,7 AA 70

Line ED 5 weight (well used Wink )

I did first 5 casts with each, starting with the XP and going stiffer, then did another round of 5 going softer after I got to the 12 weight.
Conditions where basicly no wind with the occasional gust, just around sunset so the dew fell during the exercise.

Also did a max carry with each just to see the numbers..

XP Avg.: 34,6 m Longest: 36,1 m Carry: 27,3 m

TCR Avg.: 35,6 m Longest: 37,6 m Carry: 29,2 m

T5 Avg.: 34,5 m Longest: 38,1 m Carry: 28,5 m

ION Avg.: 35,2 m Longest: 38,4 m Carry: 28,1 m

E3 Avg.: 36,4 m Longest: 38,3 m Carry: 27,1 m

I need to do this indoors this winter to check, and to do it while warm, cast cold due to fading light Blush So the stiffer rods basicly got the advantage, should have gone the other way around too, but it got too dark to see the line on the delivery..

But some interesting results never the less Smile

Went out again this afternoon to try it in reverse order (12 first all the way down to 5 and up) And took the rod I usually throw 5 weight distance with to get a reference point.

XP Avg.: 36,2 m Longest: 37,2 m Carry: 26,5 m

TCR Avg.: 38,5 m Longest: 39,3 m Carry: 28,1 m

T5 Avg.: 37,4 m Longest: 38,9 m Carry: 28,6 m

ION Avg.: 38,6 m Longest: 39,3 m Carry: 26,8 m

E3 Avg.: 37,1 m Longest: 39,1 m Carry: 27,2 m

Control rod:

TCX 690 Avg.: 39,3 m Longest: 40,3 Carry: 28,8 m

Data on the TCX ERN 8,4 AA 74.

Had a steady wind today as the numbers show Smile

And I think the control rod answers Mike's question pretty clearly, it's definetly the one I would choose for competition Wink

Now I just have to redo indoors to get a third set of data in a controlled enviroment Smile

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

bartdezwaan

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by bartdezwaan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Cool, I remembered wrong them, was sure it was a guideline 7 in Estonia :blush:
Maybe you are right. I noticed he was not using that white rod in Estonia.

Cheers, Bart

Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:59 pm

I don’t train two-four hours per day Vince. It gets in the way of fishing. On the other hand much of that time was spent learning what I wanted to do. But still, I’ve never found that form since. I’m hoping that when I have a houseboat I’ll refind that form because I’ll be able to cast from a platform after dark. It would be nice to hit peak form again!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by guest » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:41 pm

Paul, I’m referring to technique as being a specific set of movements. If your technique is worse after 12 years of fiddling with your technique, maybe you should consider getting some independent coaching ? Physicians don’t really heal themselves.

Regards

Vince
Bright but shite

IANACI - There’s no such thing as absolutes

Free the Mark One ☝️

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by guest » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:53 pm

Paul, the following is an extract from a sports science paper that I was sent
The term technique is used widely but it is rarely defined. Writers presume that their audience has an understanding of the term; however, without a clear definition, it can be misinterpreted or misused. A general defiition of technique is `a way of doing something’ (Chambers 20th Century Dictionary, 1972). Sport- related definitions of technique include: `a specific sequence of movements or parts of movement in solving movement tasks in sports situations’ (Dictionary of Sport Science, 1992); `the pattern and sequence of movements’ (Carr, 1997: 5); `a particular process for resolving the problem of movement’ (Hochmuth, 1984: 114); and, more complexly, `the motion activity specified by biomechanical principles of human motion which utilize motor features of movement and body structure to obtain the best sports result’ (Bober, 1981). Some authors (e.g. Cooper and Glassow, 1976: 112) avoid the term `technique’ altogether and prefer to use the term `movement pattern’. These definitions and statements suggest that technique describes the relative position and orientation of body segments as they change during the performance of a sport task to perform that task effectively.
Bright but shite

Free the Mark One ☝️

Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Of course! That’s why we have casting meets, to get coaching. I’m always keen on getting as much coaching as possible. One of the best coaches I’ve had was Jon Allen. Rick taught me a shitload as well! Hopefully the guys down in KL will be able to sort me out. They don’t need to be independent. We all help each other in this sport.

To stay at the top of your game is very hard though. It takes many hours of regular practise. I don’t put 2-4hrs/day into distance casting any more. There is a feel that you only get with that sort of training. And everything - even casting training - has to fit around fishing.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

crunch

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by crunch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:23 pm

The use of #9 and #10 rods when distance casting MED5 makes sense when line out of rod tip weights easily 350gr what average properly rated WF10 head weights.

Esa

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by guest » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:30 pm

Paul, I’ve only been responding to your point that your technique is not as good as it was 12 years ago. If you think you are doing everything possible then that’s great.

Regards

Vince
Bright but shite

Free the Mark One ☝️

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by guest » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:35 pm

crunch wrote:The use of #9 and #10 rods when distance casting MED5 makes sense when line out of rod tip weights easily 350gr what average properly rated WF10 head weights.

Esa
Agreed ESA but as Lasse points out there are people winning the WC with lighter weight rods. I suspect he’s trying to point out that physiological, anthropometric and neuromuscular characteristics effect performance but we only talk about stiff rods.

Regards

Vince
Bright but shite

Free the Mark One ☝️

Return to “Flycasting”