PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

1/2WT heavier lines

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

crunch

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by crunch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:55 pm

I have test many rods and my average distance has become better using #6 and #7 rods and my carry has also been longer. But using #10 there came few "lucky" casts. I have done tests when almost calm to have as equal conditions as possible. I think if I am able to test now when casting to constant but not very strong tail wind I would do best average using #10 and definitely do longest casts because I believe my haul comes more efficient when rod is stiffer and I think the role of haul has more effect when it is windy.

Esa

Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:10 pm

How did your test go, Vince?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by guest » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:18 pm

I went out with a #6 outfit today Paul, I didn’t take the #10.
Bright but shite

IANACI - There’s no such thing as absolutes

Free the Mark One ☝️

Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:24 pm

It would be interesting to know. I find everything feels lighter. If you’re not getting enough feel, or if everything feels too fast, then try a stiffer rod - say a 12WT - and then switch back to the 10. I used to think that the timing of the 10 was miniscule. After casting a 12 for five minutes, and then moving back to the 10, I felt that I had all the time in the world.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by guest » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:33 pm

I’m switching from #3 cane and glass to the #5 method and #6 S1 Cross throughout the season and have had to abandon feel during the cast until I’ve keyed into the setup. Occasionally, I cast #9 and 10 for salt and pike. Today wouldn’t have been a good day to try the distance comparison, the wind was all over the place. I’ve also battered my wrist and forearm trying distance with a change of forearm plane between forward and back cast, so I can’t go flat out at the moment
Bright but shite

Free the Mark One ☝️

Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:42 pm

I don’t think you can ever abandon feel! Just find the new one. Moving to something more extreme helps you move to something less so. It’s quite fascinating actually.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by guest » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:44 pm

You should really practice with cane rods :p
Bright but shite

Free the Mark One ☝️

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by guest » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:56 pm

crunch wrote: I think if I am able to test now when casting to constant but not very strong tail wind I would do best average using #10 and definitely do longest casts because I believe my haul comes more efficient when rod is stiffer and I think the role of haul has more effect when it is windy.

Esa
It’s worth reading Ulriks paper about the haul timing difference they measured with rod stiffness.

Regards
Vince
Bright but shite

Free the Mark One ☝️

John Waters

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by John Waters » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:05 pm

I found it interesting casting in very strong winds with stiff rods in Cumbria. Changed my mind about full length stiff rods in the 3 light line events. Stiff butts yes, stiff tips no. Easy to say but the challenge is to get the blank that conforms.

John

Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:12 pm

I have an absolutely beautiful cane rod from Christian Strixner. I also have my great grandfather’s Salmon rod but I dare not cast that for fear of an explosion! I like cane and much prefer it over fibreglass. Christian’s rod reminds me very much of an XP. There is something quite special about this rod.

Many years ago when I had a brief involvement with acid, I thought it would be interesting to travel barefoot, wear feathers in my hair and fish with cane. A fly fishing version of Caine in Kung Fu. It’s still possible but the tweed underwear might prove itchy.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”