PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

1/2WT heavier lines

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

VGB
Answers: 0

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:It would be interesting to know. I find everything feels lighter. If you’re not getting enough feel, or if everything feels too fast, then try a stiffer rod - say a 12WT - and then switch back to the 10. I used to think that the timing of the 10 was miniscule. After casting a 12 for five minutes, and then moving back to the 10, I felt that I had all the time in the world.

Cheers, Paul
Why aren’t you using the 12wt in competition?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden »

I might yet. I threw one briefly just prior to the last Championships. However I very quickly felt pressure in my elbow that I know from experience can lead to Tennis Elbow. This was two weeks prior to the Worlds so I didn’t pursue it. It will certainly be something I investigate more over the coming months.

Also many guys have bought HT10s. I didn’t think it appropriate to rock up with an HT12 :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden »

Years ago when the migration to stiffer rods began I did have the opinion that we should lock the rod down to a “fishable” 5WT. It would be difficult but not impossible. However such a restriction I felt would be seen as favourable to me at the time, so I abandoned the idea and decided to learn to throw with the faster gear. The downside is that this event has inevitably moved away from what one might consider “fishing tackle” into “casting sport”. I thought having won with the faster gear I’d be in a position to suggest softer rods, but I just can’t bloody well seem to win this event!! :D :D

I have to say though, it has been quite educational making the shift to faster and faster gear. It makes me wonder just what is possible. I used to enjoy throwing the tip into the ground on the backcast and watching the bouncing bomb, but firing off a tight V with pull-back is equally mesmerising. And both feel pretty good!

I know the argument that competition gear puts off general anglers, but I don’t think that’s the reason for lack of wider participation. It’s a niche sport in every sense. My thinking is that the games are for those who participate and not for those who may or may not. Consequently the games and tackle should be decided upon by those involved.

I’m very happy to go with what the majority want. After all we’re all friends.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Merlin »

I believe my haul comes more efficient when rod is stiffer
Hi Esa

Studying the haul for heavy lines rods (e.g. from #9 or #10 and above) showed that the best haul time tuning tuning covers nearly all the timing interval between MCF and RSP, which is not the case for light line rods. That may explain why you find hauling "efficient" as you cast with stiffer rods.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Michal Duzynski

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Bloody hell, someone can get really confused here.
Few weeks back there was a talk about rods getting softer with use.
So if I wave back anf forward for a lot of time a 12wt lable rod will that become soft 10 in couple years

Mike
Michal Duzynski

1/2WT heavier lines

I have my HT10 for over 2 years and I cast it a lot. I do cast better now than 2 years ago, but is it because the rod get softer and I developed distance skils for softer rod, or is it because I get use to its stifness and only my technique is better and rod stays the same??
Cheers
Mike
Lasse Karlsson

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Michal Duzynski wrote:Bloody hell, someone can get really confused here.
Few weeks back there was a talk about rods getting softer with use.
So if I wave back anf forward for a lot of time a 12wt lable rod will that become soft 10 in couple years

Mike
No.
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Michal Duzynski wrote:I have my HT10 for over 2 years and I cast it a lot. I do cast better now than 2 years ago, but is it because the rod get softer and I developed distance skils for softer rod, or is it because I get use to its stifness and only my technique is better and rod stays the same??
Cheers
Mike
You got used to the rod. The rod doesn't change, unless it breaks or you decide to sand down the material, add weight or remove weight from it.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michal Duzynski

1/2WT heavier lines

Cheers Lasse
Nice and clear.
Mike
VGB

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by VGB »

Lasse, does that also apply to glass or will I be able to use my rods for shoelaces in the future?

Regards
Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Flycasting”