PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

1/2WT heavier lines

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Walter,

I agree that the rod loads deeper. Of course. But the shot takes longer. So if you want a fast shot you don’t want a deeply loaded rod, instead quite the opposite. I’m sure that the deep loading for short or quick casts comes from the idea that the rod is 100% a spring.

Sometimes I think people would rather sit around a keyboard than string a line up and throw at targets. The differences are very clear. I learned this casting a lumi line at night on different rods in the jungle. That’s where the slipped lift originated as well as my version of torque twist. When the fish gives you one second only to make a shot, and you’re not making the shot, then you need to change what you do.

Overlining is the opposite of what you need to.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter
Answers: 0

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote:Hi Walter,

I agree that the rod loads deeper. Of course. But the shot takes longer. So if you want a fast shot you don’t want a deeply loaded rod, instead quite the opposite. I’m sure that the deep loading for short or quick casts comes from the idea that the rod is 100% a spring.

Sometimes I think people would rather sit around a keyboard than string a line up and throw at targets. The differences are very clear. I learned this casting a lumi line at night on different rods in the jungle. That’s where the slipped lift originated as well as my version of torque twist. When the fish gives you one second only to make a shot, and you’re not making the shot, then you need to change what you do.

Overlining is the opposite of what you need to.

Cheers, Paul
As I said, you don’t seem to understand what your own website is saying. Probably not surprising because the scientists are often more concerned with theory than application and the discussion can become esoteric and information overloaded. I’m sure if you put the question to them directly, “what weight line will get my fly to the target quickest, given that I’m using a fast 8 wt rod, weighted streamer, starting with 2 meters of line and 2 meters of leader outside the rod tip and targeting a fish 80 feet away?”, you will get a more definitive answer.

Our own discussion shows the problem with a one size fits all solution. I’m staring with a foot or less of line outside my rod tip and targeting fish 20 feet or less away with small dries. You have a different scenario.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
VGB

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by VGB »

I’m sure that the deep loading for short or quick casts comes from the idea that the rod is 100% a spring.
For short casts, I would say that your average caster would wave the stiff rod around all over the place because they can’t feel anything and will struggle to slip line.
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Walter

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Walter »

VGB wrote: For short casts, I would say that your average caster would wave the stiff rod around all over the place because they can’t feel anything and will struggle to slip line.
True that. Experience and capability are key factors. If I spent many years doing nothing but casting to fish on small streams within 20 ft with limited room for having line hanging off the reel because of tall grass I would probably have optimized my equipment selection years ago. I might also be the best in the world at that particular fishing situation but be total rubbish at any other scenario. I might find it difficult to cast past 30 feet for example. I probably wouldn’t have a clue what equipment to use for flats fishing other than what I’ve heard or been told.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes of course. If someone can’t cast with gear that can make the shots in the timeframe then they won’t catch fish. That’s not uncommon! I’m talking about excellent casters only. Otherwise everyone is wasting their time.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote:Yes of course. If someone can’t cast with gear that can make the shots in the timeframe then they won’t catch fish. That’s not uncommon! I’m talking about excellent casters only.

Cheers, Paul
As I say, that is one of the reasons people come to SL. For excellent advice by excellent casters.

By the way, have you experimented with shooting heads for your application?

VGB

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by VGB »

Walter wrote: True that. Experience and capability are key factors. If I spent many years doing nothing but casting to fish on small streams within 20 ft with limited room for having line hanging off the reel because of tall grass I would probably have optimized my equipment selection years ago. I might also be the best in the world at that particular fishing situation but be total rubbish at any other scenario. I might find it difficult to cast past 30 feet for example. I probably wouldn’t have a clue what equipment to use for flats fishing other than what I’ve heard or been told.
That will be me then :p
Walter wrote:By the way, have you experimented with shooting heads for your application?
Top idea, it also works for the small streams as well.

VGB

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:Yes of course. If someone can’t cast with gear that can make the shots in the timeframe then they won’t catch fish. That’s not uncommon! I’m talking about excellent casters only. Otherwise everyone is wasting their time.

Cheers, Paul

I’m glad that we’ve eliminated the caster variable :p

Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden »

No I thought about it. Problem is you need to put the fly on a saucer anywhere from 2m to 18m. It’s hard to check the shoot accurately for this sort of placement - or at least that’s what I expect.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

1/2WT heavier lines

Post by Paul Arden »

Maybe with a fixed spool or multiplier reel but we are pushing boundaries there and at some point you’ll add more weight to the fly and remove the line completely :p

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”