PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Effect of temp on casting

Moderator: Paul Arden

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:33 am

Jason Borger wrote:Of course, I could use my father's technique to carry a whole MED, but that might not count as an actual win.... :D :pirate:

J
Well it did count as a win once didnt it :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

James9118

Post by James9118 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:22 am

So what's the story behind the 'carry a whole MED' :???:

Post by guest » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:24 am

I managed it once but it was still in the box :p
Bright but shite

IANACI - There’s no such thing as absolutes

Free the Mark One ☝️

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:55 pm

James9118 wrote:So what's the story behind the 'carry a whole MED' :???:
Paul, Jason and me in a football field in Montana, Paul has just showed Jason and I the changing of grips between backcast and forward cast learning the 170/hartmann flop, and Jason has immidiatly named it the gripshift technique. Gary walks up and has a chat, and asks about how much us young whippersnappers can carry, and after being told the boldness of youth, of 80-90 feet. Tells us he can show us how to carry the full 120 feet of line doublehauling :oh:
We hand Gary the rod and line and stands back to witness greatness!
Gary coils up the loose line on the ground in his hauling hand, make a pickup, and falsecasts the whole line while doublehauling. Mind you only 50 feet or so was outside the tip, but he did carry the full 120 feet of MED :D

14 years later, and I'm still smiling and laughing thinking about it :yeahhh:

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:24 pm

How long ago was that? 14 years?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:39 pm

James9118 wrote:
Paul Arden wrote: I don’t think the Cumbria platform height offered any advantages in distance
I find it difficult to understand why some (you're not the only one) can't see why throwing something from a raised position goes further. Basic ballistics, however once I find a stable platform I'm going to do my best to get a figure for distance gained vs. height from which the cast is made. John Field has figures for this from ACA and ICSF events where the same outfit is cast, one from level ground and one from a platform.
Hi James
Last time you and Paul were here you were throwing from a height of 67cm.

Cheers
Lee

James9118

Post by James9118 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Hi Lee,

I'd be an outlier to basic ballistic theory - I somehow manage to consistently cast the #5 shorter than I'm expecting in Millom. Just shows that the 'human factor' outweighs everything. :D However, next weekend will be different :cool:

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:36 pm

Paul Arden wrote:This angle of forward trajectory is only possible by lowering the rear trajectory:
But is that trajectory the best? How far would that cast have gone if thrown level with the ground(water)?

Cheers
Lasse

Willy Franzen

Post by Willy Franzen » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Paul Arden wrote:I’ve also read that air is less dense with humidity, but Ive really not noticed that in practise. In fact my very worst casting conditions are fog. So there is something missing in this argument - and I don’t know what it is.
Maybe it has to do with lift? I started Googling about flying a plane in high humidity and found this: "as the humidity goes up, the air pressure for a given volume of air goes down. This means the wings have fewer air molecules to affect as they are pushed through the airmass. Fewer molecules = less lift."

Unfortunately, "lift" is a hard word to search on this forum when you're looking specifically for the aerodynamic force. So, I did some more Googling and found this paper, which says: "It is found that a loop with a positive angle of attack generates lift about four times larger than a sym- metrical loop. Thus, loops with positive angles of attack stay ‘‘aerialized longer’’ which is consistent with observations made by (competition) distance fly casters."

So maybe there is less drag in high humidity but also less lift? Maybe humidity affects loop formation negatively? I have no idea how much lift is affected by humidity or how much distance lift can add to a cast.

Or maybe Vince is right?
VGB wrote:The effect of air density is a collision between the line and the molecules in the atmosphere. If we think of the line as a white billiard ball travelling through the red billiard balls (air), the more red billiard balls there are the quicker the line slows down. So in dry air, you should cast further in less dense air, all else being equal.

If we remove half of the red balls and replace them with lighter but stickier blue balls (water molecules). Every time that there’s a collision between the white ball, we gain a blue ball and the line gets heavier. My guess is that the additional mass gained after loop formation is responsible for the line slowing down at a quicker rate than the dry line. Intuitively, I think it’s a function of the additional mass and the effects due to lower energy density rather than additional aerodynamic drag due to the wet line shape but it could be both.
Do you guys notice much of a difference in casting a wet line vs a dry line? Would casting on to water have a similar effect as casting in high humidity? How much water stays on the line during a cast? Does a line actually pick up water in very high humidity? Or collide with it?

Sorry to sidetrack into humidity when the thread is about temperature, but I think the two often go hand in hand.

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:20 pm

That’s very interesting Willy. There are a lot of disagreements regards lift on the Board. However that’s certainly something to consider. I wonder how freefall compares in a humid environment to a dry one? Thanks - that’s something new (for me) to think about.
how far would that cast have gone...
Not as far Lasse, or I wouldn’t have thrown it that way :p the unrolling of the loop is the same but with the upward angle in no wind or small tail wind helps the line carry on after the loop has unrolled. I’m sure you’ve measured that. That is ballistics of course!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”