PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rod and line for MCI test

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Got word back from three commitee chairs that it has to be a AFFTA 7 for the overhead part, but no one will measure, so it doesn't matter as long as you say its a 7.
Since you are an influential examiner, can you make a change to the part where it says “no one will measure?” Or did they say “no one can measure?” I mean, since it has to be AFFTA 7wt.

Even the possibility of measurement would be quite a deterrence.
easterncaster
Answers: 0

Post by easterncaster »

Lasse, thanks for asking. sigh...

Re single-hand spey: Ok, so the RIO box says 7, but now what about those candidates that like a Wulff product. Wulff Bass tapers are wonderful single hand tapers - work great when up-lined two clicks. The rub is that Wulff boxes tell the truth AFFTA wise: a 9 is a 9, not a 7 in disguise. That candidate will want a 9 Wulff Bass taper to do the same as the Rio 7 single-hand, but they can't use it simply because of what is printed on the box... ?!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

My views on this are pretty simple. When you set a high standard people train to be able to perform at that level. The same people who are taking the test now would train for an extra year and then pass the test at a higher level. That’s good for them, it’s good for the association and it’s good for their students.

I can see now that the Sexyloops Advanced Level will be considerably harder Spey-wise than IFF Masters. That’s unfortunate. AAPGAI in that respect is far superior. With Sexyloops you’ll have to cast into a hoop.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Craig, tell them to either take a wulff line that is overweight like the ambush, or just lie, no one will measure anyway :D

Going home now, more later...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

jarmo wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Got word back from three commitee chairs that it has to be a AFFTA 7 for the overhead part, but no one will measure, so it doesn't matter as long as you say its a 7.
Since you are an influential examiner, can you make a change to the part where it says “no one will measure?” Or did they say “no one can measure?” I mean, since it has to be AFFTA 7wt.

Even the possibility of measurement would be quite a deterrence.
Hi Jarmo

Thank you for the kind words :blush:
But I am sadly not able to do that, just a simple level 3 examiner cursed with knowledge that is redundant in a testing situation...

This is part of one of the replies I got regarding the matter, the others have different wordings but same intent..
If the candidate has a manufactured 7 wt line and does not mention the AFFTA standard, then it would be up to the Examiners to determine if the line meets the AFFTA standard. We feel it is not most conducive to a good candidate experience to challenge the candidates on whether their chosen 7 wt line falls within the tolerances of the AFFTA 7 wt standard. Speaking for myself, I am not familiar enough with all the 7 wt lines sold today to say on the test field which lines meet the AFFTA 7 wt standard and which lines don’t. And further, I believe most L2 Examiners are similar in the knowledge of all the 7 wt lines sold today.

So there you have it. We have a AFFTA 7 wt standard for the MCI exam. We also understand that there are 7 wt lines available which do not meet the 7 wt standard. We also have a corps of L2 examiners who do not know which lines meet the standard today and which lines don’t. Further every years the lines change and the program does not want to put examiners in the role of being “line police”.
So I don't think there will be any threat of measuring, the consensus seems to be that people who use overweight lines are poorly prepared and have unsuccesful tests anyway...

Enough headache, weekends happening and fish is on!

Cheers
Lasse

Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Not sure I should comment on this... not being an examiner or MCI candidate...
But as a potential future CI candidate-if I was paying my membership and test fees, those responses seem a bit of a lame excuse, I’d also like to think it was a level playing field...
It would hardly take a genius for someone in the hierarchy to knock up a quick table that listed all lines that met the standard 7wt which examiners could refer to, the info is available for most lines, certainly all the likely lines people would turn up for...

Do you actually think many people would use an overweight line? Seems as though they’d only really be cheating themselves?
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Matt

I doubt many people would in the past turn up with overweight lines, those who have have all gone for on the box lower number, and most wasn't aware that they where in fact using a line on the edge.

It takes 30 second to check if a line is at the standard, let examiners use the low target for a 8 weight but tell candidates it the upper limit of 7 that is allowed, and we even have wiggle room for a poor measurement....

Rules have no meaning without enforcement, and as Jarmo already said, if there is just a slight chance of an idiot with a scale, people tend to error on the safe side before risking their money...

And now its weekend, and Paul can shut down the board and fix the old one, I'm going fishing.

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ha! Paul looked into the procedure this week! This weekend we have a big casting competition. I’ll look at it again on Monday :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

:D

Do you have rules that will be checked at the competition, or will you do it FFI style :pirate:

Going to make up some rings this weekend and do some accuracy in between fish...

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ha! I think I might be providing he tackle. Which is best because it will mean that everyone uses the same gear. Almost certainly I’ll be providing the lines. :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”