PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

who is the inventor of the snake roll and the snap T cast?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Michael Rebholz
Answers: 0

Post by Michael Rebholz »

Hi Folks,

Does anyone in here know who came up with the snake roll and/or the Snap T casts pls?

thanks and TL

Michael
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

I've always been told that Simon Gawesworth (and maybe his dad) invented the Snake Roll.

Günter Feuerstein is credited with inventing the Snap T.

Lars
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Lars

Who besides Günther credits him for inventing the snap t?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
hshl

Post by hshl »

Lasse wrote: Who besides Günther credits him for inventing the snap t?

As far as I know only GF himself...
http://www.passion-fliegenfischen.de/_en
All in its proper time ...
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

None, I think - and no one seems to be credited for inventing the false cast, so I'll take that one :-).

I know most sources give Simon Gawesworth credit for the snake roll, but there are several claims to the Snap T. Al Buhr credits George Cook, John Farrar and Dec Hogan with it in his 2006-book.

Lars
Michael Rebholz

Post by Michael Rebholz »

Thanks lads,

Thanks for your replies so far.

The first and only thing GF did when i send him the video of introduction into bonkerspey link (sry i dont wanna annoy u with this here again, but i showed this to a lot of instructors, i had to) was telling me that i should better use his casts such as the snake roll and snapT. HA HA HA i m not here to get personal or fight any stupid fights and i never met him and had only a few times to deal with him, but i know that he is by far not he he thinks he is - like all of us.

"We all have the nose only in the middle of the face" is what my granny used to say.

simon gawesworth and snake roll yes i found that out too in the meantime. Couldnt find anything about the snap T yet but i think if i remember it right that george cook at least demonstrates the snapT in simons video Rio's modern speycasting as viking lars mentioned the name here and now i can t find the video anymore....it must be somewhere....in this messy pile over there.

thanks and tight lines

Michael
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Simon invented the Snake Roll. Snap T I don’t know but when we discussed this many years ago it appears to have originated in the US... it may have been Günter of course. Both of these casts have only really come mainstream about 25 years ago. I remember being shown a “kick Spey” by Vic Knight in ‘96 where he was making a single Spey but placing the anchor with a horizontal Snap. Inverting the Snaps might have been something I came up with while stoned and casting the lumi-line to Pink Floyd over a cliff. It hasn’t really caught on yet.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:. Inverting the Snaps might have been something I came up with while stoned and casting the lumi-line to Pink Floyd over a cliff. It hasn’t really caught on yet.

Cheers, Paul
Only because it's done on the dark, and noone sees it :D
Give it time, it will be all the rave :cool:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Once I was spending a hell lot of hours day by day fly casting on grass searching for ways to improve and finding new techniques. At that time I invented the Snap Z. Then I visited the fly fair in the Netherlands meeting Bart de Zwan for a first time. He had exactly "my" new cast ready. I didn't show that cast to anyone. So it was clear to me that it's logical to have several fly casting enthusiasts ending up in one and the same cast all by themselves. The name Snap Z was first time used by me as far as I can tell. I gave it to Günter Feuerstein 2 days later I was reading on the EFFA website, that he was the inventor of the Snap Z. :) Hans Rudi Hebeisen once said, the one who publishes something first will remain to be the inventor. Not for me though. I don't care. Mostly it's hard to say who had it first. The Snap T was shown to me on the Danish fly fair years before Günter started claiming that cast to be his. I can't even remember the name of the caster, but it was a guy from Denmark. Besides that Günter I think invented fly casting in general. ;) Cheers B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

George Cook does a great talk on the snaps casts - its on Youtube, he tends to share the credit for the early development of these casts around, and one of the guys he mentions is Tom White. He claims the SnapZ for himself.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.

Return to “Flycasting”