PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

why is a Loop called a Loop and where do you measure its tig

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

One option would be to write to those who write dictionaries and to give them our fly casting definition of loop. There are many others we use such as False Cast. Here in Malaysia fly fishing didn’t make much sense when translated into Malay language and so it became flying fishing. I don’t lose too much sleep over these things :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Michael Rebholz wrote:hi Lasse:
to 1

"a curve that bends round and crosses itself": Tailing loops for example dont do that at all times, they do not nessecarily touch as in "crossing itself"

so thats no good

to 2

...."which is connected to the beginning" ... yeah thats no good either cuz our loops are open, even your tight ones

to verb:
"encircle" make a circle with ... aah no good either

now go deeper and the broadens especially with a 3 dimensional view on things its even getting some depth

cheers and tight lines

Michael

ps
all these definitions for loops you re looking up there dont fit as far i could see, hope you come up with one that does.

Na, it was a quick example, and you're excluding the essense, crosses doesn't imply touching etc. So you're picking and choosing to fit your oppinion. Thats fine by me, I differ and thats that.

Cheerios
Lasse

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michael Rebholz
Answers: 0

Post by Michael Rebholz »

Hi Lasse,

I m not choosing and picking. I have my own views and opinions on things.
And a loop (in flyfishing) can tail without crossing, at least mine do that every once in a while.

Pls explain to me what u mean by i am excluding the essence? and also what is the essence pls?

to know that could help me a lot, i hope you have an answer

cheers and tight lines
Michael
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok here is something ridiculous. Ever since I can remember the Reach Cast was called the Reach Cast. Someone - it was us actually - points out that it’s really a Mend because the Reach happens after loop formation. It’s possible to make a Reach Cast by definition when side casting. It’s an interesting point but not life threatening.

However IFF then decide to rename Reach Cast to Reach Mend. FFS. Making all casting books “wrong” in their quite acceptable term that has been in common usage for decades.

Curve Cast. The same people decide that any rod movement after loop formation being a Mend cannot be allowed when making the Curve Cast because then it would be a Curve Cast Mend. Talk about putting definitions before the horse! And so Pull-Back was excluded. So I made a video showing pull-back occurring during the Casting Stroke pre RSP! Now it’s allowed again.

This is the problem when definitions are put on a pedestal. Definitions are there to help us, not restrict us.

So the term Loop may not fit with a narrow interpretation of the Oxford Dictionary’s definition. That’s not to say that we are wrong, only that their definition is lacking - ie they don’t have the flycasting definition of Loop.

Usage comes first, definitions follow. That’s how dictionaries work. Every year new words are added. Dictionaries follow language, not the other way around.

What I don’t know, and would be interested to know, is when the term loop first appeared. Just don’t tell the definitions police that the term is misleading otherwise I’ll need to buy a new domain :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”