PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

overloading

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: overloading

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Magnus,

Maybe. However I think the reason I can’t throw the tip into the ground and still form a serviceable morphing loop is because MCL is longer putting the line path higher.

One way of knowing the frequency part would be to measure the frequency. This should be possible with a iPhone camera.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Post by James9118 »

Magnus wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:01 pm Fairly certainly a #10 rod is heavier than a #6. "The same force" looks to me like it's shot through with assumptions - I pick up a #10 and a #6 rod, all else being equal I use more force to lift the #10 - I certainly need to apply more force to move the heavier rod so that I end up with the same line speed.
Magnus
I think you're making assumptions there - I'd agree that if you compare rods within a range that the #10 may weigh fractionally more than the #6, but this isn't necessarily true across maufacturers and ranges. As an example I have a 15ft #12 double handed rod, this weighs a lot less than my 13ft #8 switch rod (mainly because I didn't bother with niceties such as handles and reel seats :D ).

I also think you must have an incredibly sensitive casting arm if you can pick-up differences of a few grams between rods.

James
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:46 am
Just get some white spray paint!
And aren't you using a 12 these days?
The 12WT is away and chasing Tarpon. I'm having another built at the moment. Some interesting results with the HT12 and the MED5. I think "10" is optimal, although I've only tried 6, 8, 10 and 12. What I find interesting about that result is that's what Merlin predicted with modelling.

I can't spray paint my HT10 because it's my Snakehead rod! :D

Cheers, Paul
Do the snakehead really care about the colour of your rod? Picky bastards!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:46 pm No just by watching loop morph Magnus. Do you think either is wrong? A stiffer rod should bend less for the same force (Casting Stroke) and I would have thought that the HT10 will have a higher frequency than the HT6 (recovery).

But as Graeme points out I used to teach to throw the tip into the ground with the HT6 and that doesn’t work at all well with the HT10. I have a theory about this too but I can save that until these are confirmed :)

Cheers, Paul
Looking forward to the theory :)

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

James9118 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:12 pm
Magnus wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:01 pm Fairly certainly a #10 rod is heavier than a #6. "The same force" looks to me like it's shot through with assumptions - I pick up a #10 and a #6 rod, all else being equal I use more force to lift the #10 - I certainly need to apply more force to move the heavier rod so that I end up with the same line speed.
Magnus
I think you're making assumptions there - I'd agree that if you compare rods within a range that the #10 may weigh fractionally more than the #6, but this isn't necessarily true across maufacturers and ranges. As an example I have a 15ft #12 double handed rod, this weighs a lot less than my 13ft #8 switch rod (mainly because I didn't bother with niceties such as handles and reel seats :D ).

I also think you must have an incredibly sensitive casting arm if you can pick-up differences of a few grams between rods.

James
Hi James

Have you weighed the hot potatoes 6 and 10 and only found a few grams difference? Or is it an assumption based on Pauls ballpark estimates :p

I agree that it depends on makers, models and All, just curious, as I found the 5/10 alot heavier than the 5/6 :blush:

Cheers
Lasse

James9118

Post by James9118 »

Hi Lasse,

I've not done the hot potatoes as I only have the #5 (#6 :D ). Tracy has a TCX #10 and a #5 and they're 25g apart. I haven't checked ( but can do if required) but I'd imagine that the majority of this mass difference is in the lower sections.

Don't get me wrong, I think casting a #5 line feels heavier on a #10 rod, but I think this is down to the effective length of the lever, i.e. shorter with a #5/6 than with a #10.

I also think there's a general misconception that distance casting involves the caster applying as much force as they can - I know I'm never anywhere near my max force - but perhaps that's where I'm going wrong :???:

James
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

James9118 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:12 pm I think casting a #5 line feels heavier on a #10 rod, but I think this is down to the effective length of the lever, i.e. shorter with a #5/6 than with a #10.

I also think there's a general misconception that distance casting involves the caster applying as much force as they can

I've never cast an outfit underlined by 5 AFFTA weights but fwiw I reached the same conclusion after casting a 5wt GT125 on a "6"wt rod often enough to get used to the idea. Less bend more Work - in both senses.

I think such a general misconception about applied force is very unhelpful to fishos and quite possibly some tournament casters as well. :)

Whether and how the two issues are (directly) related I couldn't possibly say...... :D

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:09 pmMaybe. However I think the reason I can’t throw the tip into the ground and still form a serviceable morphing loop is because MCL is longer putting the line path higher.
That longer MCL also necessitates a shorter casting arc. By pulling the tip to the ground with the 10 you'd be:
  • Making a wider casting arc and opening the loop, and
  • Dragging the line a lot further from the SLP
Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
There you go, and you can continue... :D
Im not sure how much the tennis grip tape might weight-maybe 5gr???
Mike
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

...forgot the pic
Attachments
20190610_152515-800x600.jpg

Return to “Flycasting”