PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Reversed TT flying spaghetti

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Re: Reversed TT flying spaghetti

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:42 pm

Why will the top one result in a higher speed Graeme? With Lee's less extreme tapers it's the other way around.

I haven't cast them separately, only together. But I think cast separately the bottom one won't be so hard. In fact I think it will be a bullet!

Cheers, Paul

PS look forward to casting this when you are over. From my angle it was difficult to see what was going on, but from the limited video capture I saw I was surprised. I will try to get them unrolling nicely separately and then film them at different speeds together.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Paul Arden wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:30 am
It’s exactly like carrying too much overhang, however the “running line” is a DT4 which as we know can fully unroll on its own :)

Thanks, Paul
So can a length of mono, but put a brick in front of it, and it won't.

Have you got any type of taper going from 6 to 9? Or is it level to level and are those true weights or Arden assumptions?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:34 am

Paul Arden wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:42 pm
Why will the top one result in a higher speed Graeme? With Lee's less extreme tapers it's the other way around.
If they are cast together, the power application suited to one will either overpower or underpowered the other's cast.

The top one cast by itself would be an awesome roll casting line and would be very easy to overhead cast with just soft normal cast. I'd be surprised if a normal caster would be able to prevent to loop reaching the leader once it was formed. Once you get that 10wt line moving, the loop will flow with no trouble

The bottom one cast by itself would deliver a heavy fly a long way (a fair shooing line) but would be a brick on a string to cast. I think a normal caster would struggle to make a good loop reach the leader with style, but I could be wrong about that. The make the 10wt line form a nice loop with 4wt line at the rod tip, you're really going to have to work it. It'll be a bullet when it works though.

It will be interesting to cast both of these lines. Looking forward to having a play.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting”