PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hauling and taking power out of rod hand.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

clayed21085
Answers: 0

Hauling and taking power out of rod hand.

Post by clayed21085 »

I've noticed that if I apply more power\speed with my hauling hand and reduce the power \speed I put into with my rod hand it does help substantially when carrying longer lengths of line, I throw less tailing loops, the fly leg of the line throws straighter, my loops tighten. But what is the physics behind this? do I simply over power the rod applying too much power with both arms? Paul mentions this in his " fishing distance" video, but what's the reason of thinking "haul hand" when going for distance? Thx for the comments happy to be part of sexy loops.

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Hauling and taking power out of rod hand.

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James,

And welcome to the Board. This is a very good question and it’s one I’ve pondered over quite a bit. I think the answer is slightly technical. There might be some simpler answers and I hope so :p

Personally I think that the reason there is a relationship between the speed of the haul and the force applied to the rod in this manner is because with this combination the haul controls (by retarding) the rod tip as it unloads. And this in turn straightens the tip path. This is related to a video Grunde showed me many years ago.

I’m just off fishing now but I’ll give it some more thought and post again on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing some other explanations :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
clayed21085

Post by clayed21085 »

By retarding the tip I assume you mean slowing down the counterflex, in other words as the rod unloads and then the haul is performed, and since you're pulling against line going forward it slows the raising of the tip.I also realize that hauling in general tightens loops by applying more bend in the rod for the given rod ark\stroke.I personally feel the rod ( especially softer blanks) can easily be shocked or loaded prematurely especially in significant wind, taking the power out of the rod arm and focusing on the haul directs the load more progressively to the end of the cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James,

Not slowing counterflex but directly affecting how the rod unloads up to RSP (Rod Straight Position). Ie the haul is adding load as the rod is unloading. With a slow haul and a fast stroke there will be little effect, but with a fast haul and a light stroke the haul will be controlling the rod tip - that’s what I think is happening anyway.

There may be a simpler answer but since there has never been a discussion on this on Sexyloops I don’t know what it is :) Also I’m ready to admit I may be wrong; it wouldn’t be the first time :cool:
I also realize that hauling in general tightens loops by applying more bend in the rod for the given rod ark\stroke.
I don’t think that’s the reason, since the arc is variable. Hauling happens predominantly as the rod is unloading. The reason it results in tighter loops IMO compared to non-hauled casts is because for the same given line speed, with hauling, line speed is shared between the rod and the haul, which in turn means less force is being applied to the rod which then results in less counterflex after it unloads. More counterflex opens the bottom of the loop (although I think the part I wrote earlier also affects the loop size up to RSP ie the top of the loop and probably also results in less CF).

I completely agree with you on softer blanks and shocking the rod. In fact if the rod is particularly soft, it’s possible to shock it with the haul too.

(Sorry just off the lake, it’s been a long day In the sun and I might not be writing or thinking as clearly as I could be!)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
clayed21085

Post by clayed21085 »

It's an interesting subject, it's made a huge difference when carrying longer lengths of line. I have a big problem death gripping the rod, and I'm constantly reminding myself to loosen up, I dunno if you have any suggestions or exercises for gripping the rod with the appropriate amount of pressure. I really tense up in the wind.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

In real life teaching when I have a student death gripping the rod I teach the dynamic roll /switch cast. This allows us to slow down and practise the beginning of the cast without dealing with the line falling from behind. Also it’s a great way to bring in delayed rotation of the rod.

With longer lengths of line I use the same idea but dropping the line to the ground on the backcast. Drag should always have a light grip and concentrating on Drag helps fix squeezing the rod too tightly.

Another very useful tip is to try to imagine feeling for the weight of the line at the beginning of the casting stroke.

I will also bring in the “Cradle”/finger holding grip that I use with comp distance. This is a very useful grip and solves the problem completely - but can bring in other problems so I only introduce it when things are going well :p

But yeah, thinking about what is happening behind you as opposed to what you want to do in front is really going to help. The start of the casting stroke is about getting the line in motion. The end of the casting stroke is when to apply the power.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
clayed21085

Post by clayed21085 »

Can you send a picture or direct me to a resource about that grip?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Sure! It’s in this video https://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/compe ... ance-cast/ with the forward cast.

Flycasting Definitions
clayed21085

Post by clayed21085 »

How about relaxing the hand right after the stop? Can this contribute to any other casting faults other than a wavy upper top leg or wide loops? Other day at the lake I practiced relaxing right after the stop (also stopping and hauling through a relaxed grip, if that makes sense) and it seemed to help sustantially with the tails I was getting.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

No relaxing after the stop is generally a good thing! In fact the hard stop and the haul can create problems. Down the lake will answer properly on Sunday night!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”