PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Single hand spey-circle up

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Single hand spey-circle up

Post by Lou Bruno »

I was out doing some practicing, had my single hand fly rod, my focus being spey casting. Practicing the C-spey and Snap-T mostly. I wanted to see what it took to place my fly to far upstream and downstream. Got side tracked with my timing on when to "circle up." I discovered when you "circle up" contributes to the location of the anchor point.

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Single hand spey-circle up

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

The easiest way I think is to bring the tip back to it’s starting position for 90 degrees change and cut into the bank to finish for a 45 degree change. That’s my starting point in teaching the differences anyway!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul
Yea, went to watching SL videos, as well as hitting the books. Where do we actually "circle up" does it matter?
Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

For me that would depend on how much line you are lifting. A long pick up would obviously result in a higher starting point for the circle.

I’d have to have a bit of a play to see what other considerations there are. I’m back on the lake tomorrow and will do the same experiments you are doing :) Always good fun!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”