PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Dangle and cure

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

johnnybg
Answers: 0

Dangle and cure

Post by johnnybg »

I have "developed" a casting fault what i believe is called a dangle/dangling end.

It's typically happening at the end of the cast at the final casting stroke, resulting in a wave in the fly leg and the fly skipping on the surface.

First I thought it was due to too much overhang (I'm using a shooting head on the coast), but minimizing the overhang did not cure the dangle.

I've attached a drawing of the casting fault. It's been recreated from looking at some footage a friend made of me on a day I was swearing more than normally due to this problem :666:

Can anyone tell me what fault causes this and how it's cured? :???:

Cheers
Johhny
bartdezwaan

Re: Dangle and cure

Post by bartdezwaan »

No worries Johhny, I think we all have it.
Someone will fill me in, but I think if you have the least of sack in your line, you have it.
As Lasse has mentioned before, dropping the rod tip before the next cast will promote it.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

There are a few causes, one is the line not being fully straight but U-shaped at loop straight and the other is the rod tip rising above the line at the beginning of the casting stroke. Bernd has an excellent image/FP on them. I’ll dig it out later - have a few chores first :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

johnnybg

Post by johnnybg »

Thanks all 🙏

I think it might be the rod tip rising above the line at the beginning of the forward stroke. From the footage, I see that I primarily rotate (instead of translate) when I drift. This brings the rod tip too far down before the forward stroke. Is this what introduces the wave in the line that becomes a dangling end in the fly leg making the fly skip on the surface? 🤔
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Yup

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

You can try lifting the rod butt in preparation for the beginning of the forward cast, but really, it’s very difficult to remove completely for a long carry perhaps impossible!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Subtropicalspey

Post by Subtropicalspey »

Johnnybg wrote: Is this what introduces the wave in the line that becomes a dangling end in the fly leg making the fly skip on the surface?

In Bernd's explanations of the dangling end he uses a dangling end on the back cast followed by a puddled leader on the delivery cast. In the above question, are we talking about the effect of a dangling end on the delivery cast?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Johnnybg wrote: Is this what introduces the wave in the line that becomes a dangling end in the fly leg making the fly skip on the surface?
I missed this Eugene. Thanks!

Johnny can you describe where the fly skips along the surface pls? I can see with a heavy fly might result in this, but generally a dangling end results in lots of things from ticking at your feet to an S-shape in the fly leg but fly skipping the surface (and still unrolling?) I haven’t seen. If so I want to learn it!!!

Cheers, Paul

Ps sorry I’m on a course this weekend but will draw some diagrams tomorrow!

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”