PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Mel Kriegers 'long roll cast'

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Re: Mel Kriegers 'long roll cast'

Post by nicholasfmoore »

That's pretty cool that they are true to line weight! You would have thought that the opposite would be true!

:laugh: :laugh: Yes! Why do you think the average level of ability has dropped in recent years? Do you think it's due to marketing, or are people not being taught properly/CBA? I haven't even seen a decent roll cast for a long time. I have spoken to a few anglers that also shoot. They practice their shooting on the range WAY before they take a trip somewhere. I'll give an example, i play the piano, photograph and cast every day to keep my skills up, why would i risk going rusty after all those years of hard work?!

It's like that TV show i was telling you about, fishing a reservoir with a ledger rod, a sinker, and a booby water knotted onto the mainline. :laugh:

I like double tapers, but i fish with the MED the vast majority of the time, and now the thunderbolt. I really can't stand short headed lines, i don't feel i have the best control in terms of accuracy. Casting into a head wind becomes difficult with short headed lines. If i know it's going to be really windy one day, i'll take a double taper (or a sinking line) so i can cast into the wind. I usually catch fish because everyone is up wind where there are no fish at the start of the season :pirate:

I think double tapers will disappear in a few years IMO, what do you all think? I would imagine that the sales have dramatically dropped. As long as they keep making the MED i'm happy :sorcerer:

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Completely agree with you regards accuracy into the wind, Nick. No question about that.

I don’t think that the standard has dropped, if anything it’s gone up. There are more advanced level casters, and a hell of a lot more intermediate level casters.

I think the problem is that many fly rods have become stiffer and your basic caster cannot feel much - consequently putting on a heavier line gives more feel. But that’s all backwards because fishing a heavier line takes away the fishing advantages of a lighter one - stealth, lighter tippets, better take detection and so on.

Really your average caster would have been better off buying a softer rod in the first place. And of course the best thing of all would be to practise flycasting. What I’ve never understood is why people don’t practise; it’s fun for one thing!

But at the end of the day, so long as the lines are available that more advanced flycasters require then it’s all good. Anglers choose their level of ability.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Thanks Paul!

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Gmstuart1

Post by Gmstuart1 »

A couple of things in my opinion from reading the posts here:

-The MED is not a great line for roll casting or spey in my opinion. The Rio Single Hand Spey is light years better and I don't even use any other Rio lines.

-Regarding pull-back. I think that is on an exam....especially the MCI. You will not find really good casters roll casting without pull-back. Throwing tight loops to 50+ feet without it requires excess effort. The very motion of a good roll cast without forced turnover creates pull-back (I'm sure someone will say that's counterflex or some oscillation or whatever). Either way that tip coming back puts tension in the rod leg that pushing your thumb won't do. Most videos I've seen of Mel (And I'm a big fan of Mel) show forced turnover with the thumb. This was the way back then (He said chop down like your slamming that rod into a block like a meat cleaver), but we are in 2020 now. Mac Brown has been talking about forced turnover for years at the shows. Unfortunately, there's too much YouTube garbage to wade through that shows this thumb push forced turnover all over the place.

Anyway, from your photo I can see you don't have much difficulty throwing some nice loops on your roll casts. I know I didn't answer the question, but Paul already did earlier :)

-Greg
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I was advised to try the Rio single hand Spey for working towards aapgai instructors... so purchased a 6w line for a 6w rod... great for it’s intended application..Spey casting... but feels like I’m casting a brick for overhead. When I actually looked at the spec of the 6w line, in overhead terms it’s between an 8 and 9 w line (from memory)... which explains the ‘brick’ sensation.
I’ve now bought a single Spey 5w line for the 6w rod... still great for Spey and feels better for overhead, although nowhere near as enjoyable as the SA mastery trout or DT.
I need to check if you can use two different lines, one for Spey and one for overhead... that would be the ideal.
Gmstuart1

Post by Gmstuart1 »

Boisker wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:44 pm I was advised to try the Rio single hand Spey for working towards aapgai instructors... so purchased a 6w line for a 6w rod... great for it’s intended application..Spey casting... but feels like I’m casting a brick for overhead. When I actually looked at the spec of the 6w line, in overhead terms it’s between an 8 and 9 w line (from memory)... which explains the ‘brick’ sensation.
I’ve now bought a single Spey 5w line for the 6w rod... still great for Spey and feels better for overhead, although nowhere near as enjoyable as the SA mastery trout or DT.
I need to check if you can use two different lines, one for Spey and one for overhead... that would be the ideal.
I agree with you, but in the MCI you can change lines for the Spey, so it's a great option!

-Greg
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I’m hoping for the same Greg :D
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Gmstuart1 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:02 pm
I agree with you, but in the MCI you can change lines for the Spey, so it's a great option!

-Greg
Especially since it gets around the 7 weight limit so effortlesly as its a 9, which also makes the casts alot easier....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Malik

Post by Malik »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:38 am The orange MED comp head is not what it says on the box but is in fact the same as the non-comp line, which used to be called the XXD. Can’t remember what they call it now. Head is 68-72’ depending on line weight. It’s perfect for Spey casting on a 9’ rod. The front taper isn’t perfect for Speys but apart from that it’s awesome.
Hi Paul,
Hope you are doing well. Could you explain why the MED FT is not really awesome for spey ? (Sorry if the subject has been deeply dealt in another discussion).
Thank you for your answer,
Best regards
Malik

By the way : It's very difficult to find "Modern Fly Lines" by B. Richards at a correct price. Any ideas on how to find a used one ?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Malik,

The front of the MED had a compound taper where the front - the bit that will be the anchor - is heavier than the line that makes up the D loop. (Heavier per unit length).

However 68’ head is awesome for me for dynamic rolls. That’s approx the optimum length for me to pick up and turn around. Of course it’s more challenging than a shorter head but also has fishing advantages allowing Mends and Curves etc.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”