PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Stroke length in relation to style

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Stroke length in relation to style

Post by Paul Arden »

A surprisingly good post from Lasse.

:p
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
Answers: 0

Post by John Waters »

Apologies for the confusion, my comment above should have been posted on another thread. Breathing and concentrating is multitasking for me and I don't do that well.

John
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

nicholasfmoore wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:37 pm It's odd isn't it, incidentally i can carry quite a length of line just using my wrist, and keeping my elbow tucked into my body, albeit side casting, and not having a vertical rod. I quite like the feeling of this, do you think instructors don't teach this because you are basically relying on timing for the cast, and if it's not controlled it could cause a tailing loop?
A quick check: do you use only your wrist, or do you use body rotation / body translation as well?
nicholasfmoore wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:37 pm I've recently just tried this, for example with a rod length of line (tight arc etc etc) i cast with a very VERY short stroke length, however, if i increase the stroke length and keep the arc the same, not changing the force/speed etc i can achieve the same result, a tight loop :D so do we simply not use a massive stroke length for a short length of line because we don't need to? I think Paul has answered my points, but would be interesting to hear your views on this. Have you tried this? It's quite fascinating.
I guess if you have the line straight and under tension, and translate with even slight acceleration, it continues to be straight and under tension. So increasing stroke length causes no harm in this case. But I will give it a try: why not go for something fascinating, right?

To summarize, the expert list of advantages of increased stroke length / drag is so far:
  • removing slack (Paul)
  • establishing momentum in the direction of the cast (Paul)
  • employing natural throwing body motion (Paul)
  • straightening tip path at the beginning of stroke (Paul)
  • delaying rotation (Paul)
  • using less power for same outcome [as work is distributed over longer distance] (Lasse)
  • decreasing required skill and smoothness with longer lines (Lasse).
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

No problem, John!

Jarmo, for my normal casting i use an elbow forward style (Mel K) with a wrist snap at the end of the strokes, for longer casting i Drag and rotate at the end of the stroke, and i weight shift which is effectively body translation, i don't use body rotation personally :cool:

However, in that instance i was playing around by just using my wrist to see how much i could carry :) more interesting is the fact i was starting to get dophin nose loops whilst carrying around 55' and i THINK it's because i was trying to cast very narrow loops with a low acceleration 'loading' move, or rather using a tiny stroke length. I know this is going off topic though so sorry about that.

i find it quite fascinating, but as lass says, it does look stupid when you have a rod length of line and you are moving your arm wildly with a massive stroke length :laugh: :laugh:

That's a great list by the way! Thanks all, that's brilliant

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

I have been experimenting with different styles today, and i quite like this one. Please excuse the shoes :laugh:

Nick M

James9118

Post by James9118 »

Hi Nick - how would you describe what you're doing in the video - pushing or pulling? :D
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Slightly different ways of achieving almost the same outcome:

Nice pulling technique there Nick 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

James9118 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:58 am Hi Nick - how would you describe what you're doing in the video - pushing or pulling? :D
Great question, James :D

I would describe that as a 'pulling stroke' personally :) i thought 'down down DOWN!' with the rod hand, although later on in the cast, especially the delivery, it looks like i'm pushing, but i'm thinking of tipping the whole stroke backwards. How would you describe it?

Would you use the analogy of hammering a nail in a bench at waist height for a pulling stroke, and hammering a nail in the wall as a pushing stroke? Are you going to the BFFI show this year by the way? Would be great to see you there and have a cast!

That's a great video there, Lasse! have you thought about writing a book?! Thank you by the way! I really like your first style, i think the second one is what i was doing. Fab casting as always :cool:

All the best

Nick
Nick M

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

The thing that amazes me, Lasse, is that some UK anglers have asked how the pulling stroke works, I.E. how does the tip track along a straight line if you hand moves up and down? What they forget is the stick bends :D I can see what they mean for a tip action, but most anglers here don't use them.

What's your favourite pull through stroke in that video by the way? I really like numbers 1 and 4 :cool:

All the best

Nick
Nick M

James9118

Post by James9118 »

nicholasfmoore wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:05 pm How would you describe it?
I'm not sure :upside: What could be interesting is a comparison to a video where you think you're pushing - using the same short length of line.

I'm not sure about the BFFI - I may be away, however I'm sure we'll catch up for a cast at some point.

Cheers, James.

Return to “Flycasting”