PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Stroke length in relation to style

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Stroke length in relation to style

Post by Paul Arden »

I think style can mean two different things. For example you can paint beautiful landscapes in impressionist style or you can paint weird shit that looks like a cat threw up all over the canvas. Both are two different “styles”.

But also we have individual styles so it might be possible for an artist to paint both pictures and for everyone to know it’s the same artist.

And yeah bald hippies man - whoever knew? :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Yeah, those two styles of painting have more to do with the result than the painting, so not really applicable for the movement of the painter 😉 its like throwing a curve cast and how IT looks like after it lands are either impressionistic or like a cat threw up 🤣

Recognising the painter from afar on his/her movements would be style...

Did you shave again?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok :p Well there is a style of painting where the brush movement is to apply dots, another that is small brush strokes and another where paint is quite literally thrown at the canvas.

I think that the style you are discussing - and it’s one I use too - is closer to handwriting style. I’ve only just thought of this but I wonder if our handwriting styles and our flycasting styles are connected..? Mine is pretty much illegible. Even I struggle to read it :laugh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Good evidence for connection, your flycasting looks the same 🤣

Glad you didn't mention the painting technique where paint is sucked up into your anus and.. You get the picture 🙈 artists......
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Style is probably the product of an interaction with one's being! (And after this, I think I'm going to live in Tibet)😲😊
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

In which case there is as many styles as there are fly fishermen. It’s going to be a big section.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Ivan and Paul,

I agree, style is unique to each of us. That is why I do not consider it relevant unless someone's style negatively impacts correct technique. I see comments about similarities of casters often described as style but it is in reality a common technique they have adopted, not a style. To me, style is how our body performs a desired movement or movements and the timing and tempo associated with that action, and that is unique to our physical (and I would add, mental) makeup.

John
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

In my simple mind I interpret "style" as a collection of techniques, possibly with some personal twists.

An example would be Paul's distance casting style, which he has kindly broken down for us into techniques.

At least in 2012, Paul's distance casting style and that of Steve Rajeff looked a bit different.

When a collection of techniques (that is, a "style") produces good results for an individual, I find it interesting.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree and we really need to get a clearer picture of what we mean by style. For example when I cast like Steve - “compact distance style” which I call “Rajeff Style” because everyone understands that, I still have a certain style about me that allows Lasse to identify the hippy casting. That’s why I think we have two different meanings for style. Style being a collection of technique and Style being individual flair. I think it’s the former that we wish to analyse!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Hi Paul
I would define yours, one technique is that of Rajeff another technique, there are many different things, like pulling the line, how you move the body, etc. etc., I would define style, what the eyes see as a whole, for example, looking at tea you can see fluidity and distributed energy, while looking at Rajeff you see power shot etc, etc., yet you both get a beer every time I look!(Unfortunately I don't drink, alcohol, I get drunk.😁)

Return to “Flycasting”