PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Curve Casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Malik
Answers: 0

Re: Curve Casts

Post by Malik »

Hi Paul and Mark,
A very good friend of mine and talented TLT Caster, Piero Scortechini, watching the video, suggests to wait a bit more on the backcast when you are casting a svirgolato with heavy flies. According to him, you will obtain more twisting effect on the front cast and a bigger hook to the right. He might be right. Will try next week with the same gear.
Best regards
Malik
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Hi Malik
Intuitively I can sort of see what Piero is driving at. Equally, when I watched Jean-Pierre I wondered if there was enough creep happening to produce a boink to increase the amplitude of the tail! :D Watching you cast with the heavy fly and heavier line I could see more zip (KE) in the cast, more mass being accelerated with more Force(s).

Look forward to getting both the practice and the theory in hand. :cool:

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Superb clip Malik. Would love to see what is actually going on with your hands to generate the result rather than the result.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Malik

Post by Malik »

Morsie wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:55 am Superb clip Malik. Would love to see what is actually going on with your hands to generate the result rather than the result.
Hello Peter,
Thank you. Glad you like it ! I would say that this one is (mainly :D) the result of “finishing the haul to soon” https://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/tailing-loops/
As soon as I find some time to shoot a new video, I”ll make one showing what my hands are doing exactly.
Best Regards
MALIK
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Throw back, if holding with the right, do this test, throw the line to the right behind laterally, at the restart before bringing the barrel in front, bring it back to the right vertical line, now launch forward with a small click, turning the wrist you will get more tailing.
Malik

Post by Malik »

Geenomad wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:41 pm Hi Malik
Yes, I see what you are saying. The falling of the rod leg should increase tension as it does in a normal overhead cast. No problem with that. However, I think it is the shape of the falling rod leg which determines how radically the fly will jump around - to the left or right.

What does seem clear, at least to me and for the moment, it that the secondary movement has an important effect and also that its timing is significant. Hence the little pause rather than continuous movement. Maybe it is a mini mend or maybe it is somehow producing a "pull back" effect which enhances propagation of the loop rather than of the transverse wave. Dunno. It's intriguing and perhaps your footage with the short rod will tell us something more.

Look forward to it.

Cheers
Mark
Hi Mark,

Lot of things to do since the Covid arrived in Switzerland and really no time to check what happens on SL :(
Whatever, I finally got some time to join the river with a good friend and a camera. You should be interested by one of the result of our “work“ :

Some fun during those hard times.
7.6 feet stiff rod DT 3 line and "regular" Italian Casting Style Leader from more or less 15 feet.

Hope you are doing well
Take care

Malik
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I hate those deep streams that you can’t wade across... only kidding Malik - great video :D :D

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Malik wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:46 pm Hi Mark,

Lot of things to do since the Covid arrived in Switzerland and really no time to check what happens on SL :(
Whatever, I finally got some time to join the river with a good friend and a camera. You should be interested by one of the result of our “work“ :

Some fun during those hard times.
7.6 feet stiff rod DT 3 line and "regular" Italian Casting Style Leader from more or less 15 feet.

Hope you are doing well
Take care
Hi Malik
Very tidy demonstration mate. Thank you. Casting practice is on hold for me so I haven't been able to explore and experiment as I intended but going back to where we left off I notice again the importance of the secondary movement - in your example the right forearm travels down and to the left to get the radical change of direction by the fly. Your control is wonderful.

Hope one day to get back into svirgolato in general and line shoots/check hauls in particular.

Stay sane and safe. Thanks again.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Love watching those casts Malik, thanks for posting.

John

Return to “Flycasting”