PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Curve Casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Malik
Answers: 0

Re: Curve Casts

Post by Malik »

Boisker wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:51 pm That’s really helpful Mailik.... :)
it’s quite a subtle movement at the stop
My pleasure Boisker.

Yes, subtle and at the stop, not after it. It's a cast, not a mend.

Best Regards

M.
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Boisker wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:51 pm
Malik wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:42 am Hi,
I don't have a lot of time right now, but searching in my Hudl collection, I found some videos that might help. I'll shoot new ones, more didactic, in a few months.
Here, a video of Jean-Pierre, a colleague and friend instructor, practicing a "standard" twist cast. Front view.

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/vie ... e=20869198
That’s really helpful Mailik.... :)
it’s quite a subtle movement at the stop
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I don't have a lot of time right now, but searching in my Hudl collection, I found some videos that might help. I'll shoot new ones, more didactic, in a few months.
Here, a video of Jean-Pierre, a colleague and friend instructor, practicing a "standard" twist cast. Front view.

Having watched this a number of times... I streamed it to the tv, zoomed in to see the hand (much to my wife’s amusement)... I think it looks like a small, shallow, squashed ‘s’...
whether it is or not I can’t quite decide as I can’t slow it down, but certainly thinking of a shallow ‘s’ helps me make the right action.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That video shows it extremely well, Malik. Thanks for posting!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Another excellent video Ivan. Thanks!!!!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas_E

Post by Thomas_E »

Boisker wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:46 am

Having watched this a number of times... I streamed it to the tv, zoomed in to see the hand (much to my wife’s amusement)... I think it looks like a small, shallow, squashed ‘s’...
:D

Also nice Vid, Malik.
I can't see a clearly twist of the wirst.

For this cast, I use no twist, only a wrong acceleration.
No haul with the line hand.

But I will next do the under tip version, never tried it.
Malik

Post by Malik »

Hi,
I found the time to shot some videos of the twist cast. I didn’t use the regular 7.6 feet rod and 14 feet leader but a 9 feet #6 cheep rod with a MED 5 and a 9 feet leader.

Password of the video is : twistcast

Password twistcast2

Password twistcast3
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

A progress report on a work in progress. :) I'm a leftie. You righties will need to convert to make more sense of this. :D

For some reason my initial efforts gave me success with what has become my undertip version, ie the fly kicks around to the right. Having watched the vid Malik posted a link to (thanks again mate) frame by frame I realised the caster's hand movements were going in a different direction to mine. (Allowing for the right to left hand conversion.)

Switching to an over the tip version has been harder (fly kicks around to the left) and I wasn't getting reliable results until I took up Graeme's suggestion and broke the cast down into firstly side casting over the tip and then secondly producing the tailing loop to generate the kick around of the fly. In fact, this gave me the key to producing the (unfamiliar) outward curve necessary to bring the loop more vertical. Making that movement just a bit more emphatically as part of the stop produced the tail.

Though not technically correct I found it very helpful to feel the outwardly curved hand movement as making the rod leg move in under the fly leg.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Thanks for the extra vid’s Mailik...

I’ve managed to get out twice and have a play with the cast...
First time went ok... got the cast working really well on some, but no consistency, some just didn’t work... but I expected that
Yesterday... I just couldn’t get it working... I put it down to a strong swirly wind, being in a slightly irritable / impatient mood...
and using way, way too much power in the cast, again possibly influenced by the wind.... give me an hour or so and I am sure I can come up with some more excuses!!

I did find that when it was working the movements were very subtle... yesterday when it wasn’t working I think the timing of the movement was too late and the movement was too large, it was more like a small mend yesterday... so funnily enough that sort of what was happening..

I’m gonna wait for the weather to sort itself out... strong, blustery, windy conditions and learning techy curve casts aren’t the best of bedfellows :whistle:
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

The curved launch, in order not to disturb the fish, must not touch the water before bending, but it is only my pointless opinion, for this reason it does not satisfy me simply to turn the fly.

Return to “Flycasting”