PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Shooting heads

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

Shooting heads

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

V.UH / T.UH / Mt.UH was about how much room one had behind. Less room = shorter head.

Damned I also found a 20 year old drawing I made after he gave me his recommendation for the perfect DH rod grip/ handle. For me still the best I ever came across yet. :)
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Lasse Karlsson

Shooting heads

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Bernd

Yup, V.UH stands for Vinklat underhånd = Angled underhand
T.UH stands for Trangt underhånd = Tight underhand
MT.UH stands for Mycket trangt underhånd= Very tight underhand
There was also a datasheet for singlehanded rods, basicly the same a bit shorter :D

Did you ever come across the version Henrik Mortensen made first at Loops, then later at Scierra? That one had to do with how tall you where :p

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bernd Ziesche

Shooting heads

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: There was also a datasheet for singlehanded rods, basicly the same a bit shorter :D

Did you ever come across the version Henrik Mortensen made first at Loops, then later at Scierra? That one had to do with how tall you where :p
Hi Lasse,
the single hand recommendations are on the second half of the paper, yes. If you want me to, I can upload them, too. But they are similiar. I even found the translation paper for Germans (don't know who made that).

Never came acros the HM version, yet.
But I guess that makes him using the longest heads :p .
At least it makes clear that am not the only one who believes, there are some factors to take into account and then a shooting head recommendation can work well for many people.
Of course circumstances and purpose always play a significant roll.

Btw you asked about the TLT guys and shortening their leaders to throw huge pike flies. I was afraid to ask (them) :cool: :D .
Greets
Bernd
Ré_

Shooting heads

Post by Ré_ »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Do you think Simon Gawesworth was casting ALL the rods that the RIO sheet recommends head weights for? ;) I would be very surprised here, too.
I think he does. I remember reading somewhere that he changed the preferences for X rod after casting it AGAIN. I think it is not so impossible to that on Spey claves or something similar.

That is his job anyway... :ninja:
Lasse Karlsson

Shooting heads

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bernd Ziesche wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote: There was also a datasheet for singlehanded rods, basicly the same a bit shorter :D

Hi Lasse,
the single hand recommendations are on the second half of the paper, yes. If you want me to, I can upload them, too. But they are similiar. I even found the translation paper for Germans (don't know who made that).

Never came acros the HM version, yet.
But I guess that makes him using the longest heads :p .
At least it makes clear that am not the only one who believes, there are some factors to take into account and then a shooting head recommendation can work well for many people.
Of course circumstances and purpose always play a significant roll.

Btw you asked about the TLT guys and shortening their leaders to throw huge pike flies. I was afraid to ask (them) :cool: :D .
Greets
Bernd
Hi Bernd

Probably Michael Ladefoged, he was the guy travelling through Germany with Göran as his translater.

Well, it makes the tallest person use the longest heads, Henrik isn't that tall ;)

Chicken :p

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bernd Ziesche

Shooting heads

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Ré_ wrote:
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Do you think Simon Gawesworth was casting ALL the rods that the RIO sheet recommends head weights for? ;) I would be very surprised here, too.
I think he does. I remember reading somewhere that he changed the preferences for X rod after casting it AGAIN. I think it is not so impossible to that on Spey claves or something similar.

That is his job anyway... :ninja:
Hi Akos,
have asked Simon: He tested a lot of the rods himself. But there are also rods that have been tested by the people behind those rod labels themthelv.
Greets
Bernd
Svend

Shooting heads

Post by Svend »

Hi Bernd,

There's no point in arguing back and forth like this, it's not fruitful at all. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)
I really wish that people could liberate themselves from thinking that there's an ideal line weight for a given rod or even an ideal bend, both of which is not true because fly casting is variable and preferences as well as conditions differ.
If i had to give one piece of advice to someone who wants to get into shootinghead fishing it would be: "Go and buy or make as many shootingheads as you can, underline your rod, overline it, try different lengths and tapers, do it all and have fun. You'll see that it all works and with time you'll find what works best for you and your fishing, and it might change over the years. Don't just stick to a specific line recommendation and turn it into a religion."

Cheers, Svend
Bernd Ziesche

Shooting heads

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Svend,
Svend wrote: We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)
I agree with that (this time) :).
Don't think it's necessary to try casting a 13wt. line on a 3wt. rod or try TLT style for casting huge flies.
Trying different head and line combinations for a given rod is a must to become a good fishermen. I give this advice, too.
Cheers
Bernd

Return to “Flycasting”