PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Large SH rod videos?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Large SH rod videos?

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:20 am
The flies i use on the rod Paul would write 8 on, that I use a bit of 11 weight line to throw easier, are all quite big, I'll post a pic in a sec.

Cheers
Lasse
20200705_121253.jpg
They are possible to throw on even a 5 weight, but so much easier on a heavier line :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Of course but the question is not "can a heavier line cast a heavier fly with more ease?" But "Do you prefer to cast a heavier line with a stiffer or softer rod?" It goes fly - line - rod. Big fly - heavy line - and then what action do you want? I think you are secretly a closet Winston man - and nothing wrong with that Lasse! Frank was too and he disagreed with everything I wrote. If I said the sun was yellow he would tell me it was blue. :upside:

Me personally I like a certain feel which is HT rods aligned according to AFFTA. There is no right or wrong about this since it comes down to personal feel. A heavy line will throw a big fly no matter how stiff is the rod. Personally I think HT rods are softer than the current trend but certainly stiffer than the rods that I used when I first learned to fish.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

You haven't tried some of the recent broomstick winstons I can tell then :whistle:
And no, definetly not a winston man :D I think your HT 8 is the best rod out there that says 8 above the handle.

The whole what action you want and heavier line slows down the action myth is something I do not buy into ;)
I agree it goes fly, suitable line and whatever stick that floats your boat. If I am fishing pike with long casts all day, covering alot of water, I opt for the shootinghead, weighing in somewhere less than what you are carrying for most of your shots ;) If I where doing precision shots with smaller flies, and fewer casts over the day, I would probably still use the same line, but would also be happy to use a full line instead, and then a lighter class.

Colour of the sun is depending on your ability to see colours, no wonder Frank saw it as blue :D

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Well that’s Hooke’s Law so it’s a difficult position to argue against. “Slowing it down” is not really accurate. Bending it more which in turn results in a slower stroke is probably more accurate. Put a 4 line on the 8 and compare that to a 12 on the 8 and there are some pretty big stroke adjustments for an SLP.

I’kl try to shoot some video but I have to edit one first from last week.

Cheers. Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think your HT 8 is the best rod out there that says 8 above the handle.
And cheers! :D

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 pm Well that’s Hooke’s Law so it’s a difficult position to argue against. “Slowing it down” is not really accurate. Bending it more which in turn results in a slower stroke is probably more accurate. Put a 4 line on the 8 and compare that to a 12 on the 8 and there are some pretty big stroke adjustments for an SLP.

I’kl try to shoot some video but I have to edit one first from last week.

Cheers. Paul
I do have two identical rods that say 8 on the side, should I try and cast them with the same stroke and a 4 and a 12 ;)
Which really isn't what we're talking about here, when you're advocating a long belly 8 against a short piece of 11 is it :whistle: This has alot more to do with casters feel and habit rather than actual tackle adjustments...

Looking forward to the video, is it coming before or after all the other ones :p

Cheers
Lasse

Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

cheers Paul
I always enncorage people to practice, its free and save some frustration when on the water.
In the video I used 26feet of super fast sinking head +8 feet leader+3feet overhang = 37feet, that is not long enough to use full flip flop style, but once you set the loop I would use and open stroke to the back for the delivery.
Long belly feels a bit different.
cheers
mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The aeroplane wings is more about getting students to straighten their hauling arm rather than rod arm but I take your point on the short head.

I also agree with Lasse :O :p :whistle: with a shooting head you want to go up 1 line weight, sometimes 2, for distance. Just like sometimes with a DT dropping a line weight can help. Where I have issues is taking heavy shooting heads or similar WF tapers to fishing situations where this tackle is a disadvantage, regularly uplining without thought to purpose and line companies making lines heavier than standard. It makes no sense for example to manufacture a line that weights an 8 and label it a 7.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

This is quite heavy gear I am casting here (I’m wearing light blue visor). The old TFO Bluewater medium duty (13-15) and Rio Leviathan Intermediate which is 600gr when checked on a scale.
Terrible stuff. Nowadays I try to limit the lines to ~12wt and I use much softer rods. The softer riod gives me much more possibility to input the force over a longer distance and longer time. Less peak force. Much easier on the hand and arm. Which is important when having one of those days that there are lots of fish but not really bites.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke

Return to “Flycasting”