PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Blocking

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Re: Blocking

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Thanks John... much clearer now!

Hips and shoulders can rotate around Y, hand and line travel along X, and wrist and rod rotate eventually around Z.

Abrupt cessation around Y is braking; muscular cessation along X is blocking?

No wonder flycasting is so easy!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Paul

"Would block primarily be using the body to naturally restrict further movement? For example putting the shoulder in the way of the backcast or rotating to the maximum body twist available in either direction?"

Yes, but in the linear direction only, because it does not require a pairing with another body segment.

"I suppose it’s slightly confusing perhaps because when we turn the rod over in the X axis it’s rod rotation that is the primary driver. It seems to me that everything we do (in distance at least) is mostly to assist rod butt rotation from MCL onward. And then the rod butt simply flipped over without resistance, like the final moments of flinging a ball."

If we were beginners learning in the world of athletics, it would not be confusing because both the activation and termination of each movement, and the terminology used, are cornerstones of instruction and are replicated at all levels, from children just starting out through to the world's best trying win an Olympic gold medal. Our sport has been fixated on rod movement and we justify that position with statements like "you must load the rod", "the rod tip must move in a straight line", "match the arc to rod bend" etc etc etc. Each is limiting. The focus, the language and the outcomes differentiate our instruction from other sports. That is a sound strategy if you want that differentiation to continue, but that differentiation inherently promotes complication and confusion, and is based on an incorrect premise. i.e that being - our sport is unique.

You are correct about throwing a ball, but consider cricket as an example. A spin bowler uses different hand and finger movement for an off break or a leg break delivery but the rest of the bowling action (feet, torso, arm, centre of mass etc) is relatively constant, irrespective of the spin put on the ball. Casting should, and can be, simple. I agree with your description of the stroke segment from rod MCL onward, however my focus would be on the hand speed leading into, and though that phase and how that can be optimised through the preceding movements.

Don't worry about a Z axis, stick to the a 2 dimensional model.

"Abrupt cessation around Y is braking; muscular cessation along X is blocking?"

Yes, because rotation must exist around an axis. That applies to casting as it does to other throwing sports.

"No wonder flycasting is so easy!"

It could be easier.......

In my view it all comes down to hand speed.

John
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I should clarify my answer above about the rotational axis for casting Paul. The actual axis is a straight line that goes through the top of your head and your centre of mass to the ground. That axis starts as an acute angle to the horizontal and moves in the X Y plane to the vertical axis, being perpendicular to the ground.

John

Return to “Flycasting”