PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Wind Cast

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

slack
Answers: 0

Wind Cast

Post by slack »

I am looking for a cast called the
Wind Cast it was published in fly fishermen many many years ago by Joseph Mulson /Andy McCrimmon. I am looking for a video or at least a description of how to complete the cast. From what I understand instead of the loop being narrow it's quite wide and pointed but the line gets down on the water almost the minute it leaves the rod tip. Thanks in advance for your effort if you can locate it for me. slack
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Wind Cast

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Slack,

The Mulson Wind Cast. John talks about it here https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... -saltwater

I know Dan quite well and we discussed this cast. I showed him what I do and he said it wasn’t the Mulson Wind Cast :D Anyway I throw a backcast with an upwards trajectory (can be off the side) and go stopless on the forwards sticking the tip down. No doubt I discuss it in this video https://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/headwind/

For me the key elements are high line speed on the forward cast and trajectory. It’s basically a 170 that morphs tight angled to the target. But don’t try shooting line on the forward cast because with a strong wind that won’t work, instead carry the line on the backcast.

Dan did give me the article to publish but I found it all over the Web so I didn’t use it In the end. I too would like to see a video preferably from the man himself!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Carol

Post by Carol »

Thanks for these videos.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Thomas_E

Post by Thomas_E »

A very old one in addition. :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

:D :D :D

Brilliant!! And that’s with a relatively soft rod :pirate:

However I would point out something that the late Peter MacKenzie-Philps said, “if there is no wind at the water surface then why are the waves filling my waders with water?” :D

It’s all about high line speed, trajectory to the target, and carrying what you need on the backcast. It’s not about tight loops. There are a couple of other things that I mention: casting a slight angle to the wind can help, an intermediate line makes life easier than a floater (if they fishing allows), coming off the side helps with multiple flies because if the line doesn’t straighten the flies don’t tangle and finally if the loop isn’t going to straighten then check-haul.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
slack

Post by slack »

Thank you all for your input slack

Return to “Flycasting”