PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Cleaning lines

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Viking Lars
Answers: 0

Re: Cleaning lines

Post by Viking Lars »

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Excellent front page. I have a reply from Simon now too but we are finding out about their recent lines to double check. If anyone wants me to check with another manufacturer let me know.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Wicked front page 😎

Hi Paul,

This is on the back of the baby wipes, do you think you could ask Bruce or Simon to see if any of this stuff will damage it? 😃

All the best!
Attachments
2020-09-23 14.05.04.jpg
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes I can. Sorry I’m a bit behind.

Chris Walker from Rio
Hi Paul,

It looks like you’ve got the right information from the competition already. Using a mild soap is the right answer for any PVC fly line (RIO, SA, most Cortland lines, and many OEM brands). These lines only remain flexible as long as plasticizers are dispersed throughout the PVC coating. Stronger detergents and solvents should be avoided because they can dissolve these plasticizers, removing them from the coating. That makes the coating brittle and the line will eventually crack.

RIO doesn’t sell a mild soap specifically for this purpose but you have some around the house already. Any soap you use on your skin should work just fine to help lift any grime off the coating. RIO does sell a cleaning kit with a slightly abrasive cloth and line dressing. The cloth is great for mechanically removing any dirt and the dressing helps to replenish slickness additives on the outermost surface of the line.

Some slickness additives are naturally hydrophobic and that’s why you may not want to apply them to sinking lines. Once a line has broken the surface tension and is under water the hydrophobicity of a line dressing will not impede sink rate. The highest density, fastest sinking lines tend to punch through the surface as soon as they land, so I wouldn’t hesitate to dress these. Slow sinking lines like hover and intermediate densities are more likely to float initially due to a line dressing. In fact some manufacturers sell “floating” lines that are actually slightly more dense than water. These lines must be dressed to keep them on the surface. Of course if you want your slow sinking line to actually sink, it’s best not to dress.

Have fun sailfishing!

Chris
:)

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Josh writes -

Hey Paul,

It’s hard to say really especially since we don’t know what proportion of the mix each individual chemical accounts for. I guess my question would be, why use a baby wipe if most people have dish soap and paper towels at home?

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Paul,

Thank you for doing this, that's really great. The baby wipes were really an option for guys that were hiking for a week in the middle of nowhere, for example. :cool:

Cheers man!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Return to “Flycasting”