PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

How to adjust the wrist?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bianchetti Ivan
Answers: 0

How to adjust the wrist?

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

It already exists, I don't know, but I would still like to give this indication, I have always seen, in the back cast, open the wrist by turning to the right (if the rod is gripped with the right) or block it, perhaps it is a habit, I too I often do, but what is the fastest way to turn the wrist? As for me I think that it is by turning the wrist inwards while going behind, this moves the lever on the elbow and the shoulder, I have found great efficiency in this, even if at this moment I am not flexible enough on the back, to understand if it can give a greater distance, but I think it does, a reflection would be interesting, I accept denials, the road to improve is tortuous.😁
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: How to adjust the wrist?

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Ivan, I find I can’t reach fully back without turning the hand outwards. At least not comfortably. Interestingly I was looking at this a few weeks ago :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Great how you pick up random little bits of info on SL...
Paul do you start the hand movement with the hand already turned outwards in the scenario above?

I noticed when trying to get a fast wrist rotation right back that it led to the rod tip arcing slightly and if I am not careful it takes the tracking out...
Just doing a panto with the hand starting turned out it stops the tendency for the hand to arc..
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s a really great question, Matt. Yes usually, but not always. I’ll often cast with the “palm forwards” but I also sometimes fish “thumb on top” and if I move to a longer backcast then that’s when I’ll have to twist – and yep it’s not going to be perfectly straight. I certainly wouldn’t go that way in comp casting. In fishing we can often get away with little things :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:34 pm Hi Ivan, I find I can’t reach fully back without turning the hand outwards. At least not comfortably. Interestingly I was looking at this a few weeks ago :)

Cheers, Paul
Hi paul,
I noticed that starting with the palm of the hand down (v-handle), turning inside is not a problem, especially when turning late, I also noticed, and you can see it without the barrel, that it is easier and fast, turning inside and outside, maybe it is a matter of habit, certainly I will not take the result for granted before having insisted on the tests, I am now starting to get rid of the pains.
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:49 pm That’s a really great question, Matt. Yes usually, but not always. I’ll often cast with the “palm forwards” but I also sometimes fish “thumb on top” and if I move to a longer backcast then that’s when I’ll have to twist – and yep it’s not going to be perfectly straight. I certainly wouldn’t go that way in comp casting. In fishing we can often get away with little things :)

Cheers, Paul
I’ll have a play tomorrow, I think a slight change may just help with tracking... I have a slightly dodgy wrist, I think... but then again perhaps everyone’s movement is the same :D
Cheers
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Since for decades we have mostly been teaching to use a stiff wrist, sometimes even to the extent of strapping the wrist to the rod butt, I think it’s something that has largely been overlooked. Delayed rotation really is little more than utilising the wrist at the end of the stroke. Interestingly however there are many ways to use the wrist, different planes and even torque.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”