PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hypothetical question on mechanics

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Hypothetical question on mechanics

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Gary,

Practice casting while standing on one foot only. It will train for balance and improve the ability to fish on unstable platforms without disturbing the water.

I used to fish from my kayak a lot, both sitting and standing. That practice routine helped.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

This afternoon, I watched Francois Botha casting a popper on a 7-weight for Leerfish while standing on his paddleboard. Not a hint of exertion. :cool:

Cheers,
Dirk
Carol

Post by Carol »

I recently saw a short video of Lasse casting while balancing on a single foot atop a peaked rock in the water. Prior to that was a video of Paul balancing on a log while casting. I can barely brush my teeth standing on one foot with my eyes closed (I try this every night for 2 minutes to practice balance and always end up dabbing every 20 seconds or so. :whistle:). You all certainly are making a good argument for practicing casts on one foot, even if it's just a 30' PUALD or the fun thing done at the end of a practice session. Even if one never fishes from a watercraft of any kind, it will help when standing on two rocks with different heights.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Two rocks of differing heights, weird positioned feet between rocks, bumpy or/and steep banks, any place where its not a nice flat field. The flat field is to create the baseline and the maximum in possibilities, its all downhill from there, so might as well have some fun 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

When I am asked to teach someone to cast from a paddle craft I do not go into the "one foot" thing. I don't see it as much of a balance thing as it is a minimal weight shift thing.

If someone has balance issues they do not belong standing in any tippy craft., or even casting from a platform on a flats skiff.

Instead I ask them to cast with both feet tightly together. That seems to eliminate shifting weight at the feet and emphasizes upper body movement.

Also, as casting is sometimes done while not standing I ask them to practice casting either from a chair or when sitting on the ground... again to emphasize that casting has to come solely from the upper body... when sitting in a paddle craft.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

I would think the size, material and shape of fly would play a role.

Thanks
Phil
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Oh, and Lasse:

Thanks. My wife happened by and saw the pic of you on the rock. She said "look what he can do. You need to do my exercise class with me, we work on balance, so you can do that!!!"

Thanks a lot. :)
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

As for casting poppers, I find if I use a vertical rod plane, line over line loop, like Paul mentioned, and throw a big loop on false casts to minimize kick back and then tighten the loop on the last forward cast, I can throw 80-90 feet accurately with only the shooting head out the end of the rod on the back cast and without much effort. This makes balance easier.

I sight fish off a low platform. Shifting your weight sends waves which can alarm the fish so I try to eliminate any weight shift. Visualize standing on eggs
and not breaking any when casting.

If I shoot a lot of line on the final forward cast there is no kick back with the fly upon presentation which improves accuracy. For distance control, I use what Paul mentioned in another post line-overshoot the distance a little and then control the stop/distance with the line hand.
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Just went and tried it. Make that 80', not 90...LOL. With a 7 wt rod and 7wt saltwater taper line
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Phil Blackmar wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:46 pm Oh, and Lasse:

Thanks. My wife happened by and saw the pic of you on the rock. She said "look what he can do. You need to do my exercise class with me, we work on balance, so you can do that!!!"

Thanks a lot. :)
Sorry :blush:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting”