PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Recent FP from Paul

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Recent FP from Paul

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:17 am

Ok I’ve redone the experiment. Findings are the same but less of a difference.

9 false casts, not 10.

8m carry 7WT 7.98s
8m carry 4WT 6.25s

12m carry 7WT 10.45s
12m carry 4WT 10.25s

16m carry 7WT 14.45, 14.25s
16m carry 4WT 13.25s

A set of babies passed the boat during the second round which might explain the 12m 4WT result :) A number of possibilities exist for the difference compared to the first video. DT4 vs short WF4. I’ll have a play with that later. Will edit the video and post but must get the FP up.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:59 pm

Threw the original 4. Similar results to the DT4. So it’s possible there was a measuring issue between the two on the original experiment. On the other hand my 7 line carry was quicker this time.

Not sure why such a difference between us with the 4s, Lasse. You are 19.42 secs for 10 casts and I’m 13.25 for 9 casts (don’t ask!) so that’s ~14.72 for 10.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:08 pm

We both know that measuring and Paul are two opposites :D

What about leaders, same on all lines? or classic 4 feet on one and 15 feet on another :D
And what about fluff, same size or non existant on one and a whole key on the other :D

I have a DT 4F, will see if I still have a DT 8 or 9 lying around (probably not) What I do have is a barrio GT140 7 weight cut to a shootinghead of 21 meters, I could use that for 8 12 and 16 meters, and see if we then get similar results, or if it's all down to you being out of shape :p Seeing as the 7 seems to get faster with practice ;)

Looking forward to the clip!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:29 pm

Were you using the frequency trout, Lasse? :)

This is very interesting and i'll have to try it. Do you slip line at loop straight position on the back cast, Paul? Do you find the heavier lines tuck more so you are thinking of slowing down a bit to compensate? :)

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:47 pm

Hi Nick

No, a 10 year old standard SA trout line, dead straight to AFFTA 🙂

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:57 pm

I think tucking was an issue on the first video but I just went fast on the second test. Leaders the same length (this time!) and actually the same piece of fluff after I vaporised one.

No not slipping any line Nick for this test. Normally I often would of course.

Another test that would be interesting is same line on range of rods. I’m pretty sure I can guess the results of course.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:58 pm

Ie for me the line will get faster as the rod gets stiffer and for Lasse it will get slower :p

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:44 pm

Paul Arden wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:58 pm
Ie for me the line will get faster as the rod gets stiffer and for Lasse it will get slower :p
You care to have a bet on that mate ;)
Problem here would be that the rod gets heavier as it gets stiffer, and we would both slow down, since neither of us have Lee's arms....

Cheers
Lasse

Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:03 pm

I believe that a 7/8 line does not need 10 throws to reach 20 meters to get a good measurement you have to understand how many throws are needed to reach a certain distance because the time will be discriminating.🤔

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:17 am

What I’ll do Ivan at some point is video Snakehead practise shots with 8 and 10WT lines. Many years back I did measure up PUALD short pickups to long shots at 25m on the lake. But 25m is no use because even without a false cast the fish has gone by the time the fly arrives. 20m would be a long shot here (but possible). Most shots are 10-15m so it’s a stealth approach leading to a money shot. I do think the 8 is quicker than the 10 and I mostly use that myself. But it’s a problem when you hook a lunker.

This whole idea of uplining for quicker loading and faster shots is all ‘big spring’ related. And it’s just not the case when you are dialled in for fast shots. Adults with babies is easier and you have a longer shot (and a warning!). Free-risers is seat of your pants stuff. Take your finger off the trigger and you miss your shot.

Anyway I’m on my own this week so it’s just not possible to film that. I don’t think we are going to see a significant difference in timing of no-false casting shots. I’d need to do the exact same casts many times and take the average. But I can have a go :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”