PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Adjusting backcast target for off vertical tracking?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

gordonjudd
Answers: 0

Re: Adjusting backcast target for off vertical tracking?

Post by gordonjudd »

Try casting with a horizontal rod plane.while producing a vertical loop plane. Then just for kicks... swap which leg is on top.
Mangrove,
Could you show a video of how you achieve those different rod an loop planes?

Gordy
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Gordy

Quite sure there's a article about it from Mark Sedotti on SL somewhere, it's a very fun drill, and teaches alot about tippaths and what makes the loop.

Will look

Cheers
Lasse

*edit*

I'm getting old, it was Jeff Barefoot who wrote it!

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/loopcontrol.shtml
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

gordonjudd wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:17 pm Mangrove,
Could you show a video of how you achieve those different rod an loop planes?

Gordy
Gordy,

I have a drill I teach my students when I am trying to repair their casting style to remove the horizontal back cast loop that most of them have (being SW fly guys).

I get them to adopt the "Triangle Method" lesson position and ask them to draw an inverted Nike Tick with their rod tip on the left cast and the right cast. That makes the tip follow a path that has an inclined straight line for most of its track before dropping vertically. Since the line follows the tip path, this drill produces a vertical loop with a horizontal rod.

(Invert this mentally. The width can be used to visualise rod tip speed)

I then get them to gradually lift the rod tip while keeping a vertical loop running, and before you know it, the student has vertical loops front and back with any rod angle they choose.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Great article there from Jeff. Particularly important understanding if you want to throw overpowered curves in the vertical rod plane and of course inverted loops in, well any rod plane that isn’t vertical :)

He independently came up with the Svirgolato while trying to cast into a doorway.

For me that’s mostly short to medium range casting. Occasionally I’ll use it to pop a fly up at the end of a longer cast but I haven’t developed the skills to be precise with most of these casts at distance first time.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally I find it more efficient to cast the line straight over the tip with any rod plane (ie slice, not curve). It feels more solid for me, but I have nothing to support this statement!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Gordy,

I can't figure out how to post any videos to SL. It seems I have to upload the videos to some other host, then link the url to SL. I tried using my cloud storage as the host but can't seem to get it to work. I don't do stuff like Facebook so I don't have other hosts to use.

Anyway, Graeme pretty much nailed how to do it. In addition to Jeff Barefoot's article, I believe Mac Brown explains it also in his "Casting Angles" book. I will add that for a regular vertical loop I commonly make the horizontal rod movement with my palm facing upward, then roll my hand over at the end to adjust the size of the loop. Conversely, to get an underslung loop kick up at the end (and cause the fly to kick up and stall before gently landing) I push the rod with my palm forward, then kick to palm upward at the end.

It is a cast that I practice and use all the time as, this time of year in particular, the water I fish is often almost crystal clear and any rod (or line) movement will spook the fish... necessitating a low rod and loop.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:28 am Incidentally I find it more efficient to cast the line straight over the tip with any rod plane (ie slice, not curve). It feels more solid for me, but I have nothing to support this statement!

Cheers, Paul
Me too, guess it's something about going as straight as possible ;) but knowing how to do the others have good benefits!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Gary, we have a Sexyloops channel on YouTube (two actually). I’ll have Lars send you the details because I’ve lost them. Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:20 pm
Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:28 am Incidentally I find it more efficient to cast the line straight over the tip with any rod plane (ie slice, not curve). It feels more solid for me, but I have nothing to support this statement!

Cheers, Paul
Me too, guess it's something about going as straight as possible ;) but knowing how to do the others have good benefits!

Cheers
Lasse
Guys,
do I get you correct that for casting your rod in the horizontal plane you want your loop move in the vertical plane? Thus you have rod and loop plane angeled 90 degrees?
Cheers
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think that was Gary who suggested that!

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”