PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Whole line out!

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

easterncaster
Answers: 0

Re: Whole line out!

Post by easterncaster »

Barry,

'Burping' the reel is a fun thing, texturally and audibly: Audibly, if you set the drag a bit light - your wife may come around to how impressive your skills are yet when she hears it... ;) Texturally, as it can assist in positive turn over, and hence get you added distance.

Advice? ... glad you asked ;) Now that you are the casting god of your local pitch, before staking claim and expanding your territory, I suggest you keep the same gear going. Use it as with any good science experiment and repeat, while changing one item at a time. In this case try casting with less 'energy' - see if your new found distance can be had with even better form. Think about as casting in slow-motion if you will.

Make sure to clean your line often and rod (shaft and guides) not as often, but certainly here and there.

Again, well done!

Craig
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

When you get the MED line, Barry, another thing to practise that you can measure, is the amount of line that you can carry (false cast in the air). This length is measured from the end of the flyline, excluding leader, to the hauling hand.

Distance casting for me is about a) the length of line you can control and b) how you launch it. It’s the combination of these two things that gives you the results. Initially I would spend more time working on a) than b), in fact I still do.

The reason for this by the way, is that the amount of line that we can shoot is in part dependant on the length of line that we carry. And of course the distance the fly goes is those two combined.

And that’s where the fun starts :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Hi Barry,

Firstly well done - I consider the clanking of the backing knot up through the rings as a little round of applause, but I'm probably a bit weird in that respect :D :D :D

There is a big difference in the head length of what you've been using and the MED, don't expect the MED to go further immediately, in fact it could be that you take a bit of a backwards step. I'm sure if you keep working at it though you'll soon be making the best of the MED.

Regards, James
barrysthlm

Post by barrysthlm »

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I’m so glad I found this board!

Craig: I’ve taken your advice and the results are weird. A gentle, slowed cast is only 10ft shorter that one with effort. Which means my extra snappy snap and fast hauling are not doing much. I think perhaps the casts with effort are introducing creep along with the enthusiasm. I’ll start cleaning stuff too, my lines are currently only lasting 3 months, that might be why...

Paul: I’m frustrated with the overhang and have the gut feeling that I could carry a lot more. Hauling hand to the end of the fly line is probably 60 -70 feet. If I let out a few feet more it gets weird quickly.

James: I’ve used MED once on someone else’s rod for a few casts. It was weird, as you say. I’m expecting a bit of frustration.

/Barry
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Barry, the great thing about the MED (although it’s also a challenge of course) is that you’re not into overhang until you’re at about 84’ (depending on line weight, rod length and your arm length :) ).

I spent many years working on carry with a DT line. And still do so.

When I teach guys for competition 5WT distance I tell them that I’m not going to teach them anything about the launch until they can carry 90’ :D That keeps them busy for a couple of months! Of course there is lots to work on in that time.

Many years ago, some good advice I got from Bruce Richards (Bruce was fly line designer for SA until he retired and became a hermit in Montana) was that when he was working on his carry, he would get to the point when it fell apart and mark the line. Next time he practised he would try to get a little further. It’s a long, interesting and thoroughly addictive process :D

The things that make a long carry is weight shift, tracking, targets, power application and a very effective haul. I work on each of them in turn.

Great to see another casting addict on the Board! :pirate:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
barrysthlm

Post by barrysthlm »

Hi again!

I got my MED today so thought I’d update you. My first practice session was strange, there was absolutely no wind at all. I managed to hit 85 feet pretty easy after a few casts, but it was very frustrating and I couldn’t get past that.

My backcasts were all over the place - it took a while to realize that I was throwing them far too hard, the MED is much, much lighter. I found myself needing to completely retune everything, and really missed the “tug” of the heavier heads, so I had a few “puddles” as well. At 60ft of carry I seemed to need much shorter arcs than with my shorter heads. I also found it harder to tighten the loops, I can get much tighter loops with my normal lines. At the end I found myself slowing down a lot as well.

Tomorrow I’ll start with 20ft out and add 3ft at a time until I can carry 90 with style. Might take a year.

/Barry
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Barry,

Do you listen to music while casting? Not joking. Put in some ear-buds and play whatever works for you given the task at hand.
I don't always listen when practicing but find it (at times) a good change-up, and it can act as a pace setter.

Craig
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’d be interested to know what you listen to Craig. I often do the same.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
barrysthlm

Post by barrysthlm »

Hi Craig!

Unfortunately I let a sales guy talk me into these AirPod things, which fly out of my ears when casting and are impossible to find in the snow, so I’ve given up on music for the time being. I need to buy proper headphones with wires.

The Pixies ‘Debaser’ always leads to tailing loops. :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Tomorrow I’ll start with 20ft out and add 3ft at a time until I can carry 90 with style. Might take a year.
This is definitely the way to do it. How is your double haul? The speed has to feel like it’s coming from the haul, not wellying it back with the rod arm :)

I like a bit of Tool or Pink Floyd for my casting. But a bit of funky dance music can be great for Spey Casting :p

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”