PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Throwing a chicken, or taking a dog nobbler for a walk

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Throwing a chicken, or taking a dog nobbler for a walk

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi folks,

A question came up about whether a heavy fly will throw further on a flyline or a mono rig. I suppose it depends on the weight of the fly(chicken), the length and weight of the flyline and the diameter and weight or lack of of the mono.

What sort of experiments have you done in this regards Lasse?

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster
Answers: 0

Re: Throwing a chicken, or taking a dog nobbler for a walk

Post by easterncaster »

I love how Lasse is The Chicken King... !
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Chicken, give me mono and I'll throw it furthest, no problem. Dog nobbler, give me a flyline and I'll throw furthest. Haven't found a threshold for where a fly goes further on mono than flyline, but it will be in the low numbers I guess 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

easterncaster wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:46 pm I love how Lasse is The Chicken King... !
🤣

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It came up because we were discussing the flies that Mark Sedotti uses. Sometimes I think the purpose of the loop in such situations is simply to unroll the line, not the fly.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:59 am It came up because we were discussing the flies that Mark Sedotti uses. Sometimes I think the purpose of the loop in such situations is simply to unroll the line, not the fly.

Cheers, Paul
The loop is just a by product ;)

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t really agree with that. With a light fly the loop serves a the purpose to unroll the line and deliver the fly. With a super heavy fly, or chicken, the loop serves the purpose of unrolling the line. Throwing the fly out there without a line doesn’t catch many fishy-fishies. In both cases it’s the purpose of the action.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
George C

Post by George C »

I raised a lot of these issues in this thread over on the physics forum......viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3299 but the discussion died before it was addressed.
I'll try them again here because it is something I've not seen discussed previously.

"Rubber chickens aside, this topic interests me. For the sake of discussion I'd like to pursue it a bit more.

As I understand your posts above, adding mass to an aerodynamically inefficient fly will help it turn over better when cast on a lighter line. I'm curious, however, as to what other positive and negative effects the added mass may have during the rest of the cast. In particular, what are the reasons the cast breaks down as flies become too heavy for the line?

Blah blah blah"............ as I go on to speculate about what may be happening but best I spare all a rehash of that.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:13 am I don’t really agree with that. With a light fly the loop serves a the purpose to unroll the line and deliver the fly. With a super heavy fly, or chicken, the loop serves the purpose of unrolling the line. Throwing the fly out there without a line doesn’t catch many fishy-fishies. In both cases it’s the purpose of the action.

Cheers, Paul
With a light fly or a heavy fly, if the loop hits a wall, it stops but the flyleg continues until it all and the fly have hit the wall.

Both a light fly and a heavy fly attached to a line can be cast so they are the primary mass dragging the line along, the heavier will go further, because of more mass.

Take a bushy fly, lots of drag, add weight to the fly to counteract the drag, and it becomes easier to cast as the flyleg doesn't run out of energy as fast.

Loops a byproducts. Sometimes pretty, sometimes ugly (we have seen you cast Paul :p )

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m not sure George. I suspect with a heavy and aerodynamic mass it will try to overtake the loop. Generally speaking I wouldn’t add mass to the fly to assist turnover and instead would use a heavier line. I think with some very heavy flies that the flyline becomes incidental, and even an inconvenience.

The reason I started this topic is because I’m teaching a chap who is fishing for Huchen with very large flies and he has been experimenting with weight. I think we have both come to the conclusion that the flyline isn’t helping! :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”