PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tenis Elbow

Moderator: Paul Arden

Michal Duzynski

Tenis Elbow

Post by Michal Duzynski » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi All
I wanted to ask, what are the latest study on the tenis elbow?
Ive noticed the pain after my latest expierience with shooting head and casting heavy minnows on a full sinking lines.
I did the reaserch, and get the more less idea how to treat it, but I want to know ,once it appears and then healed will this be back?
I red that you need to see your doctor,about the pain, but Im sure that this is the tenis elbow.
I cast distance mostly with 5wt, I did put some ice,rest atwo days and not feel the pain.
Today during my casting session all was fine, but after a bit of pain came back.
At the moment I put on the elbow comprasion band,a some cream.
WILL THIS EVER DISAPEAR?
cheers
mike

Ben_d

Tenis Elbow

Post by Ben_d » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi Mike,

How tight is your grip? Try backing off a bit if you can. I used to suffer a bit, loosening my grip sorted it and also allowed me to move faster.

Cheers

Ben

Michal Duzynski

Tenis Elbow

Post by Michal Duzynski » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi Ben
It was tight,which end up with overpowering the delivery cast. Now in fact Ive loosen my grip,and the cast become better.
Ben did you treat your pain in any other way. How much rest did you give to yourself. Did it go away for good, or still comes back?
cheers
mike

Graeme H

Tenis Elbow

Post by Graeme H » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:10 pm

I had an episode of it last year. My physiotherapist stopped me casting for several weeks, applied ice and ultrasound three times a week and emptied my wallet …

During this time, I taught myself to cast left-handed. That was the silver lining of tendonitis.

I altered the grip dimensions on all my heavy rods so that they are now ergonomically correct for me. No more problems now … (Do a little research on what is needed in a grip for it to be "ergonomically correct", and you'll see that fly rod handles are a LONG way from correct.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Bernd Ziesche

Tenis Elbow

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Graeme H wrote:My physiotherapist stopped me casting for several weeks and emptied my wallet …
Definetly change you therapist :p
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Ben_d

Tenis Elbow

Post by Ben_d » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Michal Duzynski wrote:Hi Ben
It was tight,which end up with overpowering the delivery cast. Now in fact Ive loosen my grip,and the cast become better.
Ben did you treat your pain in any other way. How much rest did you give to yourself. Did it go away for good, or still comes back?
cheers
mike
I stopped throwing for distance for a while and concentrated on other stuff and better form wth short lines which helped with my grip. When I went back to longer & heavier stuff I'd refined things a bit and the problem has never come back. I used to get pain when casting the 18' DHD for long periods, ibuprofen before practice worked well :D Better still was getting off my arse and doing some training!

The only pain I ever get now is in my left elbow from hauling, stretching before casting tends to prevent this.

Please don't take the above as a fix, if it is bothering you badly then go get a professional opinion.
altered the grip dimensions on all my heavy rods so that they are now ergonomically correct for me.
Yeah, is it just me or are the grips too thin in diameter on many premium rods? Just bought a couple of new reods with really nice cork that will eithre have to be taped or rebuilt wit a decent diameter handle.

Cheers

Ben

Tenis Elbow

Post by guest » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Yeah, is it just me or are the grips too thin in diameter on many premium rods?
Funnily enough I was discussing this on Monday with a casting instructor and also with Marc. He asked why I built with larger grips and I said it led to a more relaxed grip for me. He'd been teaching a Doctor who had said that the tight grips lead to RSI type injuries because of tensions in the casting muscles. So a bit of research:

http://tennis.about.com/od/tenniselbow/ ... _elbow.htm
Bright but shite

IANACI - There’s no such thing as absolutes

Free the Mark One ☝️

skeg

Tenis Elbow

Post by skeg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Mike,

I had TE after an intensive summer of asping (casting distance for hours&using too much power after getting tired), and a two day session with Paul&the Maniacs meaning shootout and palinka...
It haven't went away for 2 yrs, or so, the first half year was really painful, as I did quite a lot of drumming that time, I couldn't allow it to rest. Had ice, and brace, and inflammatory - steroid injections.
And approx one season of banning one handed casting. (fished with DHdildos)...
Now it's ok, but sometimes I feel it...it's a good indicattor if youre doing something wrong...:)
SWIMMING is good, as pushups-I heard.

Lasse Karlsson

Tenis Elbow

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Michal Duzynski wrote:Hi All
I red that you need to see your doctor,about the pain, but Im sure that this is the tenis elbow.

cheers
mike

Hi Mike

Get your ass over to the doctor!

Your body is telling you something is wrong, seek the proper help asap.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Unregistered

Tenis Elbow

Post by Unregistered » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm

You must take into account an important point: the tennis elbow comes from repetitive motion of the... Wrist!
Reduce wrist motion as much as possible.

Return to “Flycasting”