PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tenis Elbow

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Tenis Elbow

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Thanks guys.
Looks like there will be some break for me,and mean while I'll look for the physio.
Wow -long break without distance casting-wierd feeling,but I need to look at the bright side of this case- my fly lines will last longer :p
cheers
mike
Sasse

Tenis Elbow

Post by Sasse »

Try to cast without rod and only use the line. I promise it will get worse :pirate:

I practise distance to hard and to long for two years and i had to rest and only use rubber band and free weights to strength my arm and elbow. It took about 5 months. I'm now much better but i still can feel it when i don't warm up and stretch before.
Do or do not, there is no try
Michal Duzynski

Tenis Elbow

.....before I realized I might have a tenis elbow, I was chopping some wood with one handed axe- that for sure didnt help and it put a lot of stress on my wrist.
Now as I already have it, is it fine if I do some casts with short line, some accuracy training, as Ben said he was doing? I like also pantomime my distance casting stroke with the rod butt.
Are those exercise fine on top of streaching and other recomended exercises, or should I put the rod away?
Im asking you before I go to the physio.
cheers
mike
Lasse Karlsson

Tenis Elbow

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Mike, let the doctor tell you want you can do or not. No one here knows exactly what is wrong with your arm, and wouldn't it be really sad if you made the pain worse, or your injury permanent?

Hope you have a spreedy recovery.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Tenis Elbow

Post by Paul Arden »

Get a small piece of doweling, such as a cut down broom handle 18" long. Hold it out straight, and exercise it by rotating it through 90 degrees. This has worked for many people including myself. I learned it from Bruce Richards.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Tenis Elbow

Hi All
Im lucky to have a friend, who is lucky to have a friend ,who is a surgon,and a flyfisherman,and he treated himself and few others with the tennis elbow issue.
I had a visit with him today. Tennis elbow if not treated can last from 5-12 months, and its a chronic pain. As my issue is not in such an advanced stage, Ive been treated today with an injection of anastetic and cortisone(description of a cortisone -you can find in this link)
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/paindru ... tisone.htm
The pain should go away in few weeks,but just in case I will have another shot in 20 days. Then ARIVEDERCI tennis elbow and back on distance casting.
Few days after the shot I will be able to back on track, not as intence as before, but I will wait and then do it right.
Physioterapist who empty your walet is no needed.
Im happy ,that I listen to Lasse- Thanks Lasse, and get profesional,medical treatment.
cheers
mike
davestocker

Tenis Elbow

Post by davestocker »

Consider fitting a maniform ergonomic fly rod grip. Google and maybe purchase from Siesta c
Cork.
Will

Tenis Elbow

Post by Will »

Hey Michael

Glad you sought advice and got treatment. One thing to think about beyond your immediate treatment and recovery is how you got the TE in the first place. Over-exercise combined with weak muscles will bring it back. I know you don't want to spend ££ on physios, but it might be worth one consultation to get advice on exercises to do to strengthen the right muscles in the right (safe) way.

Cheers

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Lasse Karlsson

Tenis Elbow

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Mike

Glad you got proper treatment!

That said, I completely agree with Will, make sure it doesn't come back.

Cheers and good recovery
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michal Duzynski

Tenis Elbow

Hi All
I concider myself as an athletic person as I was lifting weights for few years,and never had a problem. Reason I trained properly, and my mussels used to the particular movements.
I train diwtance casting for few years aa well, and never had a problem either. Now I red someweher that intence single handed spey casting with heavy gear might start the tennis elbow issue. Thinking about it, I actualy did cast for two days heavy fly on a full sinking line. Spey casting for two days, short after chopping wood with an old style special knife made it worse. It was chopping small branches out of bigger branches, the knife was heavy and cut through very easly woth uot stop point,so the of the onife was still pulling down after the cut,and me trying to stop it with my wrist put very big stress on my mussles and joint.(as Aitor wrote about continous ,intence wrist movement).
Im sure that this is a main cause of my problem, as I did chopped the wood same way using my left hand,and after full day some innitial pain started.
In both cases heavy spey casting and wood chopping my mussels were introduced to new movement which I wasnt train for.
Regarding my recover therapy I find this info very helpfull
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/
cheers
mike

Return to “Flycasting”