PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Downunder

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Downunder

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Steve

It is fun :cool:
I'm using something homemade :ninja:

26 gram 13 meters and speytapered.

John, I'm using a barrio gt140 8weight for the overhead cut at 27 grams. It flies! Barrio also has some heads made for this, haven't tried them yet though.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michal Duzynski

Downunder

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi guys
That was a one fantastic night casting 3.5h full on,and the lights made the orange (BarrioGT125) line look awsome.
First of all BIG THANK YOU to you John for your time and casting tips you gave me, Ive learned a lot,and cant wait to put it in practice.
Then THANK YOU guys for the compliment (Casting Machine- a la class),but if Im casting machine John Waters is a Rolce Royce of casting.After I saw him casting (accuracy and distance) I took my hat off with a big respect and listened to everything he had to say to me,as I wanted to learn as much as I could in 3h, AND I DID (BTW being quiet for me is difficult, so you can imagine how I struggled)
It was really great evening, and we casted the shit out of the rods.
Unfortuneatly I have crack to be repaired on my HT Comp, and we used TCR #5, it survived, but I think for this casting it was to soft and I still love my HT.
For the ST27g, we had 52' 26.5g Barrio head attached to 35lb red amnesia on the 9'6" Echo 3 #8, and I must say that this is a beauty outfit (Thank you Lasse).
Now Im focusing on my fishing in NZ. My first trip in Picton(attached photo), did not bring fish,but teached me low profile approach to NZ waters. Next trip Dunedin,mate takes me out for few hours and then 5 days with guide in Taupo region-hopefully I'll have some picture to share.
.... but after 6weeks of casting casting casting.
Just love it
cheers
mike
Attachments
kind of bushy..
kind of bushy..
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Downunder

Post by Paul Arden »

Is that Spring Creek, Mike? Very challenging river, especially during the day. If there's a hatch on you're in with a shout.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Barrio

Downunder

Post by Barrio »

Great stuff Michal, have fun in Dunedin, it'll be raining and colder than Picton :D

Cheers
Mike
Barrio Fly Lines : At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!
James9118

Downunder

Post by James9118 »

Michal Duzynski wrote: For the ST27g, we had 52' 26.5g Barrio head attached to 35lb red amnesia on the 9'6" Echo 3 #8, and I must say that this is a beauty outfit (Thank you Lasse).

cheers
mike
So how far is it going Mike? I've just switched to a TCX #10.
John Waters

Downunder

Post by John Waters »

More like a rusty Lada Michal, enjoy your fishing in NZ.

Thanks Lasse and Michal for info on lines. I'll have to contact Mike about some Barrios. Do these lines have a back taper? Before the rules disallowed joins in 38 gram lines, I used to attach a short back taper to my distance lines. I always felt it assisted flight but the reason was most likely that I would cast a longer line for the given weight. Do the rules for the 27 gram event allow joins?

Thanks,

John
James9118

Downunder

Post by James9118 »

John Waters wrote: I'll have to contact Mike about some Barrios. Do these lines have a back taper?
Thanks,

John
Yes they do. I find the Barrio 27g head far more stable in flight than anything I've cut myself.

Cheers, James
Michal Duzynski

Downunder

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi Paul
Spring Creek indeed, no hatch,and rising fish though. I saw plenty of fish, and had few follows after my nymph and that was it.

John dont be so shy,you are fantastic teacher and caster.

I dont know James we didnt mesaured it,just casted to unknown darkness and bushes. It was more about the technic,efficency,and how to put together your body with your rod. You should see Johns unroling loops-beauty. Fly leg unroling right on top of the rod leg,no cross loops,no curves in the line and no energee loss.
On the end of the session 90% of my casts started to look like Jonhs,and that what matters.Distance will come with practice for sure.
Regardind the rod for 27g. In Scotland I cast 9'#12, then had doubts which one to buy.I tried 9'8" and it was too long, so decided on 9'6" and found harmony in my casting.
cheers
mike
John Waters

Downunder

Post by John Waters »

Thanks James, might have to talk to my wife about an early Easter present.

Looking forward to seeing how you go Michal, best wishes with your casting.

John
Marc Fauvet

Downunder

Post by Marc Fauvet »

hi John, you actually get two 27 gram shooting heads on the spool- one 51' & one 58' :cool: http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-tourn ... sting.html
they're out of stock at the moment but more should be in soon.
cheers,
marc

Return to “Flycasting”