PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

VLoops

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: VLoops

Post by Paul Arden »

Hopefully we can build my 15’ DHD soon. I have the lines thanks to Jarmo :) I will be casting on Stillwater too mostly. I’m sure it will be educational and at times messy!

I find the forming and control over anchors interesting. I’m not sure anyone else sees it the way I do :D But I see two ways of forming an anchor length. One is an “incomplete lift” resulting in Dangling End anchor and the other is a horizontal wave anchor created by a flat spot on the Sweep.

It’s these differences that are the reason there are endless discussions on tip path, to dip, not to dip and so on. But essentially the question is, how do you get a flat horizontal length of line at the fly end with an inclining rod tip path?

Interstate travel allowed here as of tomorrow. One more step closer to freedom!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie
Answers: 0

Post by Morsie »

Paul I go back to the basics for anchor shape/size. Path of the tip of the rod from the top of the lift through the first 2 - 3 meters of the sweep determines the shape of the anchor - Gillespie's climbing curve. From where I'm at currently I don't like to dip, BUT the rod will dip as the weight comes on as you begin the sweep, and you need to compensate for that with a climbing angle. My greatest struggle has been with the snake roll, creating the appropriate tip path through the bottom of the roll in particular.... Oh for some running water, mind you, after stillwater, running water is a special treat.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Did you learn all the Speys with the single handed rod first, Morsie, or did you start learning them with the DHD? I learned them with the single handed rod because they were part of the instructor exams that I took when I first started teaching – at least Single and Double Spey were in there; Snakes and Snaps were being figured out at the time and only appeared in exams later.

Because it wasn’t really part of the MCI exam, and really is still glossed over to a large degree, that Single-handed skill set is often absent. At the FFF conclaves I used to give single handed Spey courses for instructors back in 2004/5 and they were pretty much unknown then in that part of the world. Consequently it was always introductory level stuff and never advanced.

I don’t know how it will be for me going from the single hander to the DHD but at least the casts are second nature. The real issue will be, I think, figuring out the force application!!! I know how long I spend on that, and all it’s permutations, with the single handed rod, so I can imagine that’s really where the time will be spent for me, especially with two hands and both sides…

Perhaps in about ten years I might even be able to halfway cast the thing! I will probably start thinking about Salmon. Looking forward to another fly fishing world!! :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

V-loop tends not to be real as spey casting is 3D. V-loop seen from the side can thus be a fallacy.
Look from another point of view (behind or bird's eye) and mostly V-loops are not V-loops.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Paul I dabbled with them using the single hand rods, purely as a useful fishing tool and then when they became part of the MCI I spent a lot more time with them. Better not leave the salmon fishing for too much longer.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”