PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New, old guy, with a question...

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Trevlett wrote:
Paul Arden wrote:
Personally I would probably build on an old piece of blank that fitted snuggly into the butt section
I thought about that too. Would it be strong enough? It would certainly bend I think.

Cheers, Paul

I think it would depend on the piece of scrap blank you chose Paul, If its at least as stiff as the butt section you should be good. don't all double handers have blanks under the cork lower grip?

Trev
Hi Trev

Zpey handles don't :) Otherwise yes, and a piece of blank fitted inside the original blank works quite fine, I've lengthened spinning rods this way, and twohanders and haven't had a fail yet.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

My thinking was - assuming that we are discussing inserting a blank inside the butt section - that this inserted section will be thinner than the section it is inserted in to. Which generally would make it softer. I've only done this for repairs and not as a method of extending the rod.

The alternative would be to insert the other end of the insert into another piece forming a butt of similar diameter. I do think the pivoting force could be quite high. I have strengthened inserts with inserts inside inserts.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
slack

Post by slack »

Rick all above advice given is excellent . I am 70 plus, I fish a 8wgt 10 ' and a 10wgt 9' a lot. I always had a sore arm years ago, even with light short rods . Thats bcause us old timers were taught to dead stop like hitting a brick wall. If you stay with this site you will find that is bogus. At 70 plus that dead stop would end my fly fishing career. That said you will love casting with 2 hands for effiency and effort. Good luck slack
Rick B.

Post by Rick B. »

Found a "second-hand" Cabela's LSi 1065-4 Switch Rod at a garage sale, last Friday. It was a little awkward at first, but by going slow I started to get the feel for it. I started with a Rio Outbound Short #8wt., then switched to a Rio Clouser #9wt. The #9wt. loaded the rod heavier and deeper, but lost a little distances (too much line!). My notebook says I have an Rio Gold #8wt., and a Outbound Short I #7wt. somewhere in my kit. As soon as I find them, I will try them on the front yard grass and see which line will "POP!".
THE WORST DAY FISHING, STILL BEATS THE BEST DAY WORKING, I EVER HAD, (BEFORE I RETIRED)!!!
Rick B.

Post by Rick B. »

Found it! The Rio Outbound Short I #7wt, is the ticket. So much so, I'm going to pick up Outbound Short #7 F, & a #7 S6. I took this rod with me on my last striper trip, and was able to throw out to 80', all day (little over 5 hrs.). Poppers, and weighted Clousers... :yeahhh:
THE WORST DAY FISHING, STILL BEATS THE BEST DAY WORKING, I EVER HAD, (BEFORE I RETIRED)!!!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That's great Rick :cool: :cool: :D

Flycasting Definitions
Rick B.

Post by Rick B. »

I went out after stripers again, today. Nothing to get excited about, a couple of "dinks". The rod and my form were starting to come together, and the line was really "popping".

A boat pulled up with a couple of guys I have fished with before. No comment about the rod, except that it was "illegal". I played dump, and said "I didn't know". :oh:

An hour later, another boat pulled up, and said the same thing. I told them that I heard something about that, but didn't know. :glare:

After the third group stopped by and said the rod looks illegal. I gave them "Don't blame me, blame your parent" answer. :p

It was really a very good day out on the water... :)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

How can a rod be illegal?!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Rick B.

Post by Rick B. »

Paul Arden wrote:How can a rod be illegal?!

Cheers, Paul
B.A.S.S. Tournament rules; only allow (Max.) 8 ft. rods (With 2 guys on a boat, I understand), and no trolling. Our club as made an exception. Fly fishing only, and allows trolling with a fly & fly rod only (No extra hardware). The rods are a Max. 9 ft. measured from the tip to the reel sit. With two guys fly casting at the same time on an bass boat it can get real exciting at times.

The other exception, is the fisherman may tie his leader to a "Ring" and tie the tippet to it. Also the fisherman may use a "Quick-change" device on the end of the tippet. Both casting & trolling...
Rick B.

Post by Rick B. »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ah9tc87FlU

Here is something some of you guys might like to check out...

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”