PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New, old guy, with a question...

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul, that's for full length doublehander, the shorter ones rarely have long enough handles for such a wide grip. Another to look into is the original Andersson/underhand grip, two fingers on the bottom handle and two fingers on the lower half of the top handle.

Rick, great to hear it's working for you! :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Of course. But I'm thinking about Rick's shoulders. I don't think it particularly matters how long the grip is for casting but it might make a hell of a difference to the body.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I agree, what I see is the wide the grip, the bigger the movements all around, with a narrower grip, the moves can be confined for normal casting distances.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Rick B.

Post by Rick B. »

Right now, I'm thinking about building an interchangeable Butt. Maybe using an epoxied riv. nut, a threaded steel shaft, and a threaded ball. I believe I could cover the shaft with foam & tape, and try some different lengths (4",6",8", & maybe even longer), and try 2 or 3 different sizes of balls. When I find the right combination, I'll replace the foam with cork, and replace the ball with something fancy. I've always liked rosewood. :cool:

Thanks for your input, and just listening to me... :D
THE WORST DAY FISHING, STILL BEATS THE BEST DAY WORKING, I EVER HAD, (BEFORE I RETIRED)!!!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Quite a challenge to make it strong after the rod has been built. There are plenty of reel seats available that would make this easy - which already have a screw in fighting butt. All you would need to here is screw in a longer butt. I don't know how easy it would be to change from what you have to one of these however (I think it could be quite hard actually) - but Trev would know. I have had reel seats fall off rods before so there is hope for this solution!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Will

Post by Will »

I may be missing something here, but why not just get a switch rod?

The extra length will give you more linespeed vs an un-hauled modified 9ft-er, and the extra length may help keep the back-cast out of the boat.

There's a ton of stuff on fishing for stripers with DH/Switch rods (including from boats). Just because they are DH doesn't mean you have to Spey cast them.

An 11ft switch rod feels light as a feather - much lighter to move around than an 8wt/9wt 9ft-er single-handed IMO.

Cheers

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Trevlett

Post by Trevlett »

Adapting an existing 9ft single hander could be messy.
On a lighter (vs 18' spey) rod you could go through the hassle of cutting the reel seat off and as Paul mentioned replace with a real seat designed for use with a removable screw in FB.
Personally I would probably build on an old piece of blank that fitted snuggly into the butt section (butt cap/fb removed)
build the cork onto that and epoxy the section in place.

I would really look at a switch rod though Rick. Great for the type of fishing you're doing. I have a CTS Affinity X 11' 8wt and throw 7-8wt Outbounds on it with very little effort...

Cheers
Trev
Rick B.

Post by Rick B. »

I'm pretty "Old School". :(
1. Think about it 3 times. :closedeyes:
2. Measure twice. :???:
3. Cut 1 once. :cool:

I've only been thinking about it for a week, so I've got at least 2 more weeks to go, before I start rounding the parts.

I might just borrow a switch rod and try casting it in the front yard before I make up my mind. :cool:

Can't hurt anything...
THE WORST DAY FISHING, STILL BEATS THE BEST DAY WORKING, I EVER HAD, (BEFORE I RETIRED)!!!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Personally I would probably build on an old piece of blank that fitted snuggly into the butt section
I thought about that too. Would it be strong enough? It would certainly bend I think.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Trevlett

Post by Trevlett »

Paul Arden wrote:
Personally I would probably build on an old piece of blank that fitted snuggly into the butt section
I thought about that too. Would it be strong enough? It would certainly bend I think.

Cheers, Paul

I think it would depend on the piece of scrap blank you chose Paul, If its at least as stiff as the butt section you should be good. don't all double handers have blanks under the cork lower grip?

Trev

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”