PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Spey casting on Stillwater

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Eagle Crest
Answers: 0

Post by Eagle Crest »

I tried the 570grain Skagit Compact with the MOW Medium 10ft T-11 tip, 4ft of 1x fluoro and the 1.3gram fly, and it does the switch and single spey quite well. The Snake roll is really sweet. It's quite a different beast. Is there any reason I shouldn't try the Polyleader Super Ex. Fast sinking leader? It's tapered, but on still water, I can't see why it wouldn't work okay. I'm going to give it a try.

Steve
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Steve

Finally got my hands on the setup and went out to cast it this afternoon at some local water.

Echo glass 13 footer, rage 600 grain, 14 foot polyleader ex fast sink, 4 foot of 0X and a clouser weighing 1,4 grams.

Roll, single spey, double spey all works, the long tippet does make it hard though, shortening it to 2 feet made it all much easier..

It was quite important to get the whole line on the surface prior to making single speys, so rolling it up and then just when it touches down, straight into the sweep was the ticket.

I shot some video, but need to edit it before uploading, will get that done asap.

The skagit compact is 7 feet shorter, than the rage, with practically no front taper, it packs a punch, I'm not surpriced it works well, should work equally well with the polyleader :)

Are you wading in the pond? And if yes, how deep?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Eagle Crest

Post by Eagle Crest »

Lasse,

I am wading out to waist deep or slightly deeper (0.9 - 0.95m).

When you say that I need to get the whole line on the surface, that's line and leader? I came to much the same conclusion regarding shortening the tippet, once I tried the Skagit setup. My goal was in part to get the fly to 12 feet of depth where I believe I saw the signatures of large fish at that depth on my fish finder. I saw a large Smallmouth Bass and one big carp in the pond. I saw the carp tailing while raiding a SM bass nest and the large SMB male was trying to protect the eggs/fry. The other part of my goal was to experiment and find the limits.

Thanks, again. I look forward to the video. I'm sure it'll help me. I'm traveling again, and I won't be back for another 10 days to try anything, though.

Steve
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
Eagle Crest

Post by Eagle Crest »

More still-water casting saga. I switched back to the Scandi setup this past weekend, and was practicing on the pond. Casting was going quite well, sweet actually. Watching my anchor placement and timing and it was fun. Then, on a whim, I put a midsized Air-Tight indicator on the 0X-tippet. The casting suffered. I had limited time and didn't get to do a whole lot of practice, but it's not fun.

Steve
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
Eagle Crest

Post by Eagle Crest »

Caught my first fish with the 2-handed rod. I put the Skagit head on with a 10ft iMOW intermediate tip and was practicing casting a Dolly llama. I did okay. Then the switched to a smaller brown sculpzilla and on my retrieve I thought I had snagged some weed but it turned out to be a small mouth bass.
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
sushiyummy

Post by sushiyummy »

Hi Eagle Crest.

Line load will be different between moving and non moving water. Also, ease of anchor lifts will improve with moving water.

If this is all you got, it will be good enough to get some chops down.

Just be careful, what loads in still water will often bog down the tip in moving water. Also, what requires roll casting before lift will not be so bad in moving water.
The water surface is often a gross facsimile of what the river bottom looks like. Our perception is often like reading that water guessing there is fish, a connection precluded further by depending on this gross facsimile. www.awholenuthalevel.com Casting Website

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”