PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

One Definition of a spey cast

Moderator: Lee Cummings

sushiyummy
Answers: 0

Post by sushiyummy »

I was thinking:

A rod tip path that produces the fly line to conform to:

1) A traversing rolling loop above and forward of a contacting rod tip,
2) the loop having a reel end that is fully or partially constrained,
3) the loop having a fly end that is unconstrained;
4) the loop having been inverted from a previous form that is below and behind the rod tip
5) the previous form loop having formed an asymmetrical catapult,
6) the asymmetrical catapult comprising of a stationary fly end (in contact with the body of water) and a moving rod tip end.
The water surface is often a gross facsimile of what the river bottom looks like. Our perception is often like reading that water guessing there is fish, a connection precluded further by depending on this gross facsimile. www.awholenuthalevel.com Casting Website
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Sushi,

I go this route: a Spey cast is a change of direction dynamic Roll Cast, and a Roll Cast is a cast where the forward cast begins with a D-loop formation, normally with an anchor.

I say "normally" because it's possible to aerialise all Spey casts, despite Static Roll casts requiring one.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Hey sushiyummy,

Why "A rod tip path that produces.." ?
sushiyummy

Post by sushiyummy »

Hey Eastern Caster. The 'How' of the rod tip path is common to all forms of spey casting, which then allows the bio mechanics to be free in architecture to make it happen (the 'How' of the caster, which is a separate, quickly branches out from this common point).

Having the 'essence' of what the tip should produce in the line, it is then clearer to see what is the most direct bio mechanical action to achieve this tip path.

Waste, inefficiencies, multi various modes can be explored.

I should add, technically, the above describes a Switch cast. However, it can easily converted to an angle changing Spey cast by adding 'A rod tip path that begins with a starting line water position other than a line from having the D loop plane bisecting the water'
The water surface is often a gross facsimile of what the river bottom looks like. Our perception is often like reading that water guessing there is fish, a connection precluded further by depending on this gross facsimile. www.awholenuthalevel.com Casting Website
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Sounds very complicated to me. I think you're better off looking at what the line does.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

sushiyummy wrote:Hey Eastern Caster. The 'How' of the rod tip path is common to all forms of spey casting, which then allows the bio mechanics to be free in architecture to make it happen (the 'How' of the caster, which is a separate, quickly branches out from this common point).

Having the 'essence' of what the tip should produce in the line, it is then clearer to see what is the most direct bio mechanical action to achieve this tip path.

Waste, inefficiencies, multi various modes can be explored.

I should add, technically, the above describes a Switch cast. However, it can easily converted to an angle changing Spey cast by adding 'A rod tip path that begins with a starting line water position other than a line from having the D loop plane bisecting the water'

Yes, yes... Tip Path is the thing all instructors are (seemingly) expected to fit in to their teachings. While it does open some understanding for sure to newbs especially, it's the cart before the horse and I'm fckn tired of hearing about it: The Tip Path.

... sorry about this sushiyummy, not your fault. :)

The tip is consequence - the tip does very little IMHO. The first thing it does in the stroke is give up and try to be one with the fly line.

The cast happens with the caster, the human.

As for the rod, it comes in to play where the muscle meets the bone - where the the resistance is, the apex of the bend. Following a Tip Path is a sure way to lose your balance. :whistle:
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Oh fck, here comes the hate mail ... :glare: :whistle:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree Craig however much better to start a new topic in the instructors' forum. With regards cast definitions I think it's better to define around the line using clear purpose driven definitions. Both body and tip path are unnecessary IMO.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Yeah good idea.

Sorry - I didn't mean to shit on sushiyummy's parade, but it appears I have.

Where's the turd emoticon? :whistle:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Barny, tip path aside, reading points 5 and 6, do you think that a dynamic roll or spey cast functions as a catapult? Because it most certainly does not!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”