PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

One Definition of a spey cast

Moderator: Lee Cummings

sushiyummy
Answers: 0

Post by sushiyummy »

Hey Paul, depends on your perspective.

This is just me in that I see it as a one legged catapult in the rod tip moving forward*.

As for Craig's concerns about the rod tip path as the principal focus, I don't think what I posted points to the rod tip as the principal focus, but rather the slave to the line form. However, the rod tip is an important slave since the secondary slave, our biomechanics, has more freedom to drive this primary but more constrained slave.

A roll cast does not look like it has a 'loop rearward of the tip'. So a roll cast does not fall into this descrption.

In terms of approaching casting, I would like to think having the option to focus on Line, Rod Tip, and Bio Mechanics can synthesize the total picture from each but different perspectives. I draw my casting fixes from looking at my line, which then points to my rod tip path, which then points to my rod manipulation.

Yes, there is pedagogy that focuses on biomechanics. Then there is pedagogy that focuses the rod tip. Then there is pedagogy that focuses the line. None of the them are out of whack. But they in their isolated realm don't necessarily complete the caster's understanding than if all three realms are on the radar.

*cat·a·pult
ˈkadəˌpəlt/
noun
a device in which accumulated tension is suddenly released to hurl an object some distance, in particular.
The water surface is often a gross facsimile of what the river bottom looks like. Our perception is often like reading that water guessing there is fish, a connection precluded further by depending on this gross facsimile. www.awholenuthalevel.com Casting Website
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes I don't think the rod behaves as a catapult apart from in a bow and arrow cast!

In England we used to call the Switch Cast a Dynamic Roll Cast.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Yes I don't think the rod behaves as a catapult apart from in a bow and arrow cast!

Cheers, Paul
Me too :)
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
sushiyummy

Post by sushiyummy »

Huh, perhaps not in a catapult way you are accustomed to.

But the footnote points to a device with accumulated tension; and the rod bends with a tensile side and compressive opposite side. So, the tension is not in the fly line (well miniscule amount) but in the longer arc side of a bent rod.

I don't see how the use of 'catapult' violates this catapult definition; but you are pointing out it violates customary versions of it.

Perhaps you have a different coinage?
The water surface is often a gross facsimile of what the river bottom looks like. Our perception is often like reading that water guessing there is fish, a connection precluded further by depending on this gross facsimile. www.awholenuthalevel.com Casting Website

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”