PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Which Switch Line

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Pierre Wentzel
Answers: 0

Which Switch Line

Post by Pierre Wentzel »

Hey Lasse,
Interesting, what length rod do you use? I have read all the internet information regarding matching the correct line weight with the rod. I'm about to use an old 7 wt floater for the job. The line grain recommended for the 2wt Spey/switch is about 13.7 grams. However I am still not clear on the procedure. Are we saying that when testing the rid for the loading weight that the casting should be the conventional overhead style. When the rod loads well this is the weight to be used for Spey casting as well? Or are they referring to loading the rod while speycasting?
I will be doing more sort type casting than over head casting.
Pierre Wentzel

Which Switch Line

Post by Pierre Wentzel »

Thank you gentlemen,
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Which Switch Line

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm sure you need play while Spey Casting. By all accounts it's surprising how much heavier a line you want when you place two hands on the rod and not one. I've heard this several times now. Of course whether you want to be fishing such a heavy line for your application is another matter! Technically you should be working fly first, then line, then rod!

I must admit as to being slightly perplexed by the line/rod ratings in the double handed world. It seems that it's all about buying lots of lines that don't work, and then tinkering to make it right!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Pierre Wentzel

Which Switch Line

Post by Pierre Wentzel »

Hi Paul,
Exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'll go the trial and error route and learn from the experience. My only concern is that I need a correct starting point (eliminate some variables), meaning that I adapt my line to compensate for my lack of spey casting.
I thought the line would be a good variable to eliminate, obviously not.
Regards,
Pierre
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Which Switch Line

Post by Paul Arden »

No it's a nightmare. Still it's cheaper to buy many lines instead of many rods! This problem exists in the single handed world too of course, more so now that many lines don't conform to AFFTA. Personally I think when you're learning the last thing you need is to have to be tinkering with tackle. Mind you since you've actually rebuilt a rod from a 5-wt single hander to a X-wt double hander I suspect you may be a closet tinkerer too :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Pierre Wentzel

Which Switch Line

Post by Pierre Wentzel »

Yeh,Yeh,
Correct, just easier when you know the single handed trade and now you know that you need to peg some variables to have some starting point, otherwise I'll be going in circles. Not that I'm trying to invent the wheel for goodness sake.
However, I will not give up. I will have a 2wt switch rod that I'll enjoy with a Pierre's custom Scandi line and catch many stillwater trout here in South Africa.
Please guide me to the best tutorial for Scandi spey beginners.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Which Switch Line

Post by Paul Arden »

He he :) Actually I haven't gone down this road yet myself. I know that I should be into these fetishes but I'm saving that for when I'm old and ugly :p

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster

Which Switch Line

Post by easterncaster »

Pierre Wentzel wrote:Hi Paul,
Exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'll go the trial and error route and learn from the experience. My only concern is that I need a correct starting point (eliminate some variables), meaning that I adapt my line to compensate for my lack of spey casting.
I thought the line would be a good variable to eliminate, obviously not.
Regards,
Pierre
Ha ha - that's what you get for starting from scratch (reformatting a rod)... :p

The line is as important as the rod - sometimes more - it's what we throw.

Lasse will back me up on this ...right? : Any given rod will throw a wide array of lines (taper + weight).
Because of the recent import of the two-handed fetish, here in the States fly fishermen are just now starting to realize the line's importance and variables.

Don't fight it - play with it !
Pierre Wentzel

Which Switch Line

Post by Pierre Wentzel »

Wise words,
I'll take my time and 'play with it' :evil: . Will make sure that the set-up is ready for next year's winter stillwater trout season. When I have the line correct I'll be able to finalise the rod, fittings and all the paraphernalia. Some work to do still.

Then I will embark on the next project that will be a 5wt switch for estuary fishing and chuck some heavy clousers and silicone mullets.
Lasse Karlsson

Which Switch Line

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

easterncaster wrote:
Lasse will back me up on this ...right? : Any given rod will throw a wide array of lines (taper + weight).
Because of the recent import of the two-handed fetish, here in the States fly fishermen are just now starting to realize the line's importance and variables.

Don't fight it - play with it !
Yup, it's just a stick, the biggest variable is the dude/dudette holding the handle!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”