PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Best THCI line

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Morsie
Answers: 0

Best THCI line

Post by Morsie »

Guys just as for most the Med was the outstanding line for CI and MCI, is there a line that seems to be generally favoured by the THCI's, those who have passed and those who are working toward it. Rod is a 914 Method.

Thanks
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Lasse Karlsson

Best THCI line

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Peter

Not that I know of, basicly all THCI exams I've witnessed has had different lines.

Most importantly is a line with a long enough head for the casts with no shooting. All the rest has a 20 foot shot, and I haven't met a line that wouldn't do that easily :)

I used a Rio powerspey in orange I got from Simon, rumour has it Simon made that one with the test in mind, but with a 14 foot rod, I would like a slightly longer head. The powerspey has been discontinued, and it seems like the intouch long head spey has that slightly longer head.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Morsie

Best THCI line

Post by Morsie »

Thanks Lasse, I have that orange Powerspey and am aware that most issues at the moment are to do with me - but sometimes changing lines brings in new facets, has us doing things a little differently and so the layers are put down. I'm looking for those experiences. I have asked around and have received some fairly consistent responses.

Best, Peter
Viking Lars

Best THCI line

Post by Viking Lars »

Peter, I too have been using the PowerSpey when I've been practicing for the THCI, and to me, it seems to be a very fine line for the job.

William Holmes kindly sent me a Vector Ballistic to try out as well, but I've only cast it a few times, but it seems up for the job as well.

As Lasse says, if the line meets the standards for the non-shoot casts, most lines should be fine.

The go/no-go test for me is a simple roll cast with the required line length, and to me, if it rolls well, easily, with minimal effort, it should be fine for the rest as well.

Lars
mattklara

Best THCI line

Post by mattklara »

Morsie, I thought that setup you put in my hands a year ago would be a great THCI test setup. Shame the powerspey has gone away now, as I really liked that line. I fish that one alot too.

Aside from that, if you are looking for more of a competition length head for the test, you might get in touch with the guys at Nextcast over in Oregon.

http://www.nextcastproducts.com/
Morsie

Best THCI line

Post by Morsie »

Viking Lars wrote: The go/no-go test for me is a simple roll cast with the required line length, and to me, if it rolls well, easily, with minimal effort, it should be fine for the rest as well.
Seems like a very reasonable approach, thanks Lars.

Will check them out Matt.

Morsie
Bernd Ziesche

Best THCI line

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Morsie wrote:Guys just as for most the Med was the outstanding line for CI
Hi Peter,
that statement I have heard now several times - made by fine examiners.
I am wondering - regarding the CI requirements - what exactly makes the med being THE outstanding flyline?

If any one else has input here - I am all ears! :cool:
Thanks
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Morsie

Best THCI line

Post by Morsie »

I lashed out and bought a bunch of different Spey lines in order to get an education. I have a way to go but the Carron is mighty impressive on the particular rod I've been using (Method 9140), but I have gone back to the In Touch Long head Spey, lovely line.

Bernd for me the stability of that line, the lack of any sort of sudden diameter transition combined with that near endless back taper is what makes it. If I was to have to sit any of these exams again I would use a DT, no question, for much the same reason, just better, especially for the mends and presentation casts.

Morsie
Bernd Ziesche

Best THCI line

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Morsie wrote:Bernd for me the stability of that line, the lack of any sort of sudden diameter transition combined with that near endless back taper is what makes it. If I was to have to sit any of these exams again I would use a DT, no question, for much the same reason, just better, especially for the mends and presentation casts.
Hi Peter,
good points! I feel the same about the MED when it comes to my own fly casting though.
But I still remember to have not liked that line for quite a while. I think one needs time to really get into that line. When it comes to distance and handling wind I see disadvantages with that line - unless one really is mastering that taper and the low density (which yes, makes it staple and look nice in the air). For a fair number of candidates I have seen in exams I would recommend a shorter head. Also there are floating lines coming in higher density making it a bit easier to handle windy situations.
Thanks
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Viking Lars

Best THCI line

Post by Viking Lars »

When it comes to exams, I might recommend the MED for a Masters, but not for a CI - based alone on the fact that it's not particularly well suited for speys and rolls...

Lars

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”