PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

General purpose traditional spey recommendations

Moderator: Lee Cummings

windknotz88
Answers: 0

Post by windknotz88 »

Hey crew,

Have a echo 3. In seven weight 13 feet. Grain 480-570. Looking for a decent General purpose line for it for light practice and swinging small to medium streamers on the Hiwassee. Other casters I know prefer lined and heads on the heavier side, but I don't like that. I know the half-line size heavy dad to help suffers "feel" the load is in vogue, but I don't like having to rotate through a huge arc to accommodate the excessive bend of an overloaded rod at thirty feet. Can you guys recommend a lighter sort setup or any advice really. Only an intermediate at the two handed game.
MCI Cleveland TN. Lee University Anglers.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Traditional Spey line to me means a double taper,indeed I still use one .

https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/john-norri ... 56474.html
At that price even with postage to the ex colony well worth a try !
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't really know much about the DHD so you're ahead of me here, Brian. I also don't like the heavier lines for Speys on single handed rods. A DT would be interesting! I use them on my 4WT single hander and it's great to have the flexibility to pick up longer line lengths.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Have a look at this for the overall position. There are suggestions here for longer head lines as well as shooting heads.
You can use the suggested weights/ head lengths to check out other manufacturers' specifications.
I've no direct experience of Echo rods but the recommendations have worked for me for my Sage and Hardy rods (of which their have been far too many)!
https://www.rioproducts.com/learn/spey-line-recs

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”