PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Underhand spey casting

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Thomas_E
Answers: 0

Underhand spey casting

Post by Thomas_E »

Göran has shown something like this: The grip between thumb and forefinger. By closing only the lower three fingers, the rod rotates forward.

I did not like it that way.
It may be useful sometimes for short distances.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Underhand spey casting

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting. Yes that's one grip I use for distance and dynamic rolls. I learned it for distance.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Dag Midtgard

Underhand spey casting

Post by Dag Midtgard »

When fishing, it’s not about Presentation in a Graceful way... , when casting it’s about Grace...
Merlin

Underhand spey casting

Post by Merlin »

Hi Dag

Would it be possible to give us the basics of biomechanics / anatomy making us able to understand what is behind specialized terms like those quoted below in bold.
In which plane do you move the upper arm when casting? In the sagital plane or in the transversus plane, the transversus meaning starting in sagital, ending in medial plane...
The movement if his arm were generated by moving/rotating the upper arm with the use of teres major and lattisimus dorsi, holding upper/and lower arm at a relatively fixed angle, and then using the wrist.
Without definition of these terms it is not possible to follow your point. There are a dozen of “degrees of freedom” (various individual elementary motions of joints and segments) involved in casting an object (ball, javelin), if I remember well.

Many thanks in advance

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Dag Midtgard

Underhand spey casting

Post by Dag Midtgard »

Merlin... will do later this evening...
Lasse Karlsson

Underhand spey casting

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Merlin

The first ones are movement quality planes, though I don't understand why one would start in saggital, and end up in median, thats crossing the body.
https://goo.gl/images/eFer4G

Teres Major and Latissimus Dorsi are latin names for two muscles on the back dominant in moving the arm downwards.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”