PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rice Bubble cast, Snap, Crack, and Pop

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Will
Answers: 0

Re: Rice Bubble cast, Snap, Crack, and Pop

Post by Will »

Nice one Lee!

I've done something similar by putting a big Kahuna indicator on the end of my teaching/practising lines. Was also thinking of marking stripes on the anchor portion.

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Good advise Lee. I actually have a list called "What to watch" and its become the outline for an article I'm writing, from the pick-up to the finish. This watching my bottom hand as the last part to make sure its pulling down and is not the pivot point has helped a great deal. The Kahuna section works well too.

Paul there's the two ways (that I know of) of setting the anchor on the double spey, one which is mostly body rotation BUT it doesn't allow you to watch the incoming anchor point, but its also very smooth and that's the one I've been using. The second is the crossed arms which does allow me to watch the incoming anchor point and I may revert to that - but it tends to leave a messier anchor layout, something more to work on.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Morsie, I’m surprised you can’t see the end of the flyline with body rotation. That’s the method I use with the single handed rod and I have no problems seeing the line over my arm.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

The problem could be, when the tip passes under the line going behind, too much click.
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

I might need to go to yoga for a few months to get to do that Paul. Get both hands on the rod with 80feet and its a quite different body position. The power for this move comes almost entirely from body rotation, it comes from the hips and upper body - and its different left and right. I ain't as supple as I used to be.
Will

Post by Will »

Hey Morsie

Re: the body rotation vs cross-hands lift. On the Double Spey, have you tried a combination of the two?:

Start with your feet pointing at the target (duh!) :blush:
Rotate your body downstream before you start the move.
Lift the rod as high as you need
Use body rotation until you face the target and then...
Stop the body rotation but continue the lift by crossing hands.

I was trying this today and it worked well for me. Because I didn't rotate past the target I could still spot the anchor down. The half-rotation was a big help in getting the (sinking) line up and out in a smooth fashion. Once I had the move dialled in I was so confident that the anchor was in the right place that I didn't need to look. :D

Might work, and save your neck?

Hope this helps.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Thanks Will, I'll give that a lash on the left. After the conversation above I played around with this a little yesterday on the right side and suspect I was doing pretty close to that.
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Half an hour of LHU snakes and doubles with not a snap, crack or pop within ear shot. Thanks.
Will

Post by Will »

Fantastic!
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

WC Stewart
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

About 6 things I had to adjust Will. Just had another session, same result, a couple of glasses of red helped with the chill factor. Now to get it embedded.

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”