PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Release

Moderator: Lee Cummings

James9118

Release

Post by James9118 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Following from the haul adjustment thread (which has drifted into release timing), I thought I'd start a thread about the release point for DH casting.

Here's a pic of Mike Marshall, on his way to winning the T120 event in Shenfield last year, I think this is at or near MCF.
Attachments
CIMG2732.JPG

James9118

Release

Post by James9118 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:05 pm

I should add that I was quite surprised when I saw this photo. The T120 is obviously a shooting head event and Mike sets up his cast with virtually no overhang, literally 6 inches :oh: , when I was photographing him I was expecting to see him release at or before RSP.

Marc Fauvet

Release

Post by Marc Fauvet » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:44 pm

hi James,
from here (enlarging the pic) it looks as he's not released yet. is this the right pic ?

cheers,
marc

James9118

Release

Post by James9118 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:24 am

Hi Marc,

This photo is very close to the release, when I was flicking through them you could see a definite movement in his fingers - unfortunately I've deleted the other images.

John Waters

Release

Post by John Waters » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:40 am

I release before RSP for both single handed and double handed casting.

Bernd Ziesche

Release

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:06 am

Hi John,
did you check that by slomo or something similuar?

I have checked a lot of the dh videos I took in Norway. It seems to me that the time frame between RSP1 and MCF is that short, that it may be very hard to hit consistantly in the (almost) same point. In most videos the line was free to shoot post RSP1. But this is what I only could see by frame by frame watching. Watching in real speed it looked to me like everyone was aiming for an early release! :)

Aitor would say: We always need the machine of truth to really know (and I agree).
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

John Waters

Release

Post by John Waters » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi Bernd,

I always apply the lie detector (or machine of truth) to my casts and that is the measure tape. Film and photos show a lot eg. above photo of Steve's release cast at Fagernes, with the dots overlaid. I agree with a previous post (apologies for not naming author) that it is vey difficult to discern exactly but overhang length also needs to be optimised for both the caster and conditions. In the T120, I find pre-RSP release increases my distance due to impact on trajectory and I would use an overhang of at least a metre (conditions dependent). This is a interesting topic and really enjoying the read. What I am interested in with my work on casting biomechanics is what differences, if any, there are between technique for the extreme shootings head casting ( T38 and T120) and the extreme lighter line casting (long carry 5 weight etc). There are the obvious differences in stroke length etc but I want to understand what impact there is on technique and driving technique, body mechanics. Might be completely wrong in all my views on casting, gear etc but identifying and applying the "one percenters" is a lot of fun.

John

Ben_d

Release

Post by Ben_d » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi John,

I've not anaylsed the shit out of it and I have spent limited time with T38 outfits but have sent quite a lot of time casting 30 - 36 gram floating shooting heads on a 9' rod with ERN of about 15.5. For me, with lighter heads and lighter gear (5wt) I get the best delivery distance from long translation, a step, late rotation and late haul with an early release, coming forward with a nearly flat rod for as long as possible and only rotating when I run out of arm. I'm not strong enough to do this with very heavy outfit, I rotate more through the stroke and use a smaller arc but still aim for late haul and early release. I'm sure that if I was strong enough to use the same style with heavy gear as I do with lighter stuff that it would be of benefit.

Cheers

Ben

Lasse Karlsson

Release

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi James

I'm pretty pragmatic, I can't really see a reason why things should change between gear, be that lines or rods. I might be wrong, and I'm happy to be proven otherwise. But to me, the best time to let go would be when we have imparted all the speed we can in the intended direction of the cast.
I know my longest casts come from that, I have the same feel in the release of them, as I have when I check releases with the releaselight from Jim. Like John, I use the tape to make the final verdict.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

John Waters

Release

Post by John Waters » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:19 am

For me, with lighter heads and lighter gear (5wt) I get the best delivery distance from long translation, a step, late rotation and late haul with an early release, coming forward with a nearly flat rod for as long as possible and only rotating when I run out of arm.
Hi Ben,

Agree. I am making no longer stepping (I was using two steps for the lighter lines and one step for the heavier) and I slightly reduce my translation as the line weights increase. I am now using body rotation as the source of hand acceleration, rather than linear arm movement. I also agree with Lasse. I think it is the right time to release not an early release. I let my haul release drive my rod hand rotation not the other way around. Bit strange I know but it is a primary indicator, visible and controllable.

John

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”