PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sexyloops Vineyard

Moderator: Haggisboy

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Sexyloops Vineyard

Post by Paul Arden »

Sure it's rare but happens every year? In the same way that +40 is rare but happens every year too. Certainly both have occurred every year since I've been coming here!

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Ré_

Sexyloops Vineyard

Post by Ré_ »

No, it only happens when you are here. :D

We have -20C maybe in every 10 years around here and it is warmer at Látóhegy. -10C maybe a couple of days every year.

Summers are getting warmer, that is for sure. But we have maybe 4-8 days per year above 35C.

Graphics for the last 6 years at Gödöllő:
http://ehog.hu/idojarasi_grafikonok

3 days under -15C in the last 6 years.
petevicar
Answers: 0

Sexyloops Vineyard

Post by petevicar »

Other traditional White wine grapes for Hungary are: Ezerjo, Mezesfeher, Harslevelu. The most interesting seems to be the Harslevelu. All of these grapes and the Keknyelu make what appears to be very unique wines but have obviously suffered from people planting Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.

From what I understand about Hungarian wine making the best wines are made from grape varieties that have high acidity. This is often the case in regions where the summer is very warm. If you grow the typical European grapes, Chard or Sauv Blanc you will get bland flat tasting wines.
I think the idea of blending Harslevelu with Furmint as they do when making the best Tokay wines very interesting.

With regard to the temperature in spring, the low temperatures will not necessarily kill the vines but will reduce flowering and the yields will be much lower than wanted even with your quantity vs quality ideas.

If you vineyard workers are nymphets then they will appreciate vines that require less attention.

I really look forward to the chance to try some of this wine.
IANACI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Sexyloops Vineyard

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm not going to argue the Hungarian weather with you Akos :p All I know is sometimes it's really fucking hot, and sometimes it's really fucking cold!!

Have you not thought of growing wine Pete?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
petevicar

Sexyloops Vineyard

Post by petevicar »

I once thought about emigrating to New Zealand and founding a winery, that was a long time ago.

These days I am happy being a nerd, persuing an interest which was based around remembering tastes and smells and if you get too involved the remembering bit doesn't work.

I have planted a few vines but they don't grow too well here. The soil is wrong and the weather is not good enough.

I am happy being a consumer and don't really need to be a producer. However I have studied the subject for over 40 years.
Such a crap reply can only be made after a couple of drops of rotted grape juice.
IANACI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Sexyloops Vineyard

Post by Paul Arden »

You'll have to come over for a wine-tasting tour! I'll see if there's a weekend festival somewhere we can visit, but best is certainly to visit the small cellars; they produce the finest wine and it never makes it to supermarkets, or even outside Hungary.

Cheers,Paul

Flycasting Definitions
petevicar

Sexyloops Vineyard

Post by petevicar »

Sounds like a great idea. :sorcerer:
Let me know. :pirate:
IANACI
Viking Lars

Sexyloops Vineyard

Post by Viking Lars »

I'll join you, Pete - even if I only drink white wine (and beer, and spirits) :-)

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Sexyloops Vineyard

Post by Paul Arden »

Don't narrow down your options too much, Lars.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Manshit”