PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

How do you cast?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

TrevH
Answers: 0

How do you cast?

Post by TrevH »

cesarwf wrote:One thousand casts after feel a good one. Muscle memory and practice.
Interesting. 1000 doesn't seem enough to me, to develop muscle memory as such. That's not to say your casting will not improve over 1000 casts, but I think muscle memory takes much more repetition to develop.

I think the actual number varies according to the psychology of the individual and I believe changes in psychology may improve the rate at which muscle memory is acquired.

I think the frequency of the repetition is also relevant.

Incidentally, this is the reason I think it is largely a fallacy that individuals who have been casting a long time find it harder to change their casting style because of muscle memory. The vast majority of individuals haven't cast often enough with sufficient frequency to develop strong muscle memory and, those that have are probably pretty good casters by now anyway.

You hear of pro golfers changing their style, and it takes them a long time to do that, and I dare say muscle memory may be one of the barriers they need to overcome, but I think most recreational fly fishers have some way to go to before they cast on muscle memory.

Interested on others' thoughts on this.

Cheers
Trev
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

How do you cast?

Post by Paul Arden »

I absolutely agree with you there, Trev. I would have said it takes a beginner around 20hrs of practise to achieve a basic and repeatable skill level. Rebuilding a casting stroke in completion has taken me 1000 hrs, with components taking 100-200 hrs.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Magnus

How do you cast?

Post by Magnus »

"I think the actual number varies according to the psychology of the individual and I believe changes in psychology may improve the rate at which muscle memory is acquired."

So as Paul becomes more psychotic and generally deranged he finds it easier or harder to train motor skills? Sorry Trev but wtf does that mean?
I would have said it takes a beginner around 20hrs of practise to achieve a basic and repeatable skill level. Rebuilding a casting stroke in completion has taken me 1000 hrs, with components taking 100-200 hrs.
Just as far too many statistics are conveniently invented on the spot to support an argument and have NO basis in fact, those numbers were plucked from the sky Paul - were they not?
"Actually I can't because you are right! " Paul Arden 8/6/2019
Paul Arden
Site Admin

How do you cast?

Post by Paul Arden »

No they were pulled out of my arse!

Flycasting Definitions
Unregistered

How do you cast?

Post by Unregistered »

Really glad to see that the girlschool yard has finally got back to the boyschool yard it always was. :ninja:
Tom

How do you cast?

Post by Tom »

Where is my rodtip?

Tom.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

How do you cast?

Post by Paul Arden »

I think 20 hrs is about right. I think that applies to most things, learning to drive a car etc. to acquire some sort of competency. I have run that number past other instructors in the past.

The other numbers are known - since they apply directly to me. I've rebuilt my distance casting stroke three times. Each component has taken me approximately three months to learn. When I was working on my distance casting I was practising in two hour sessions, usually late morning and evening. Weekends casting with Jon would of course include a full day. So that's where the 100-200 hrs comes from. That would be weight shift, grip, picking targets, change of haul, the 170 arc and other "revelations" that would need exploring. All of these took 2-3 months to really sink in.

The whole package - it's a bit of a guess because I haven't timed it exactly - but I reckon two years for the 170. And I reckon 1000 hrs is a good approximation of the time spent on that. Certainly no less, in fact all those numbers are a little bit conservative. I don't know if that sounds like a lot of time or not very much time, I guess it depends on your perspective.

As you'll probably know I switched stance on the 170 in Exmouth two and a half years ago. And I still have a lot of work to do!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Simon Kearns

How do you cast?

Post by Simon Kearns »

As a decidedly 'average' caster I find it difficult, if not downright impossible to condense several hundred hours of reading / viewing / being taught about the perfect style, in a casting stroke lasting approx 2 seconds. But I live in hope.....

Regards
Lasse Karlsson

How do you cast?

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

The whole package - it's a bit of a guess because I haven't timed it exactly - but I reckon two years for the 170. And I reckon 1000 hrs is a good approximation of the time spent on that. Certainly no less, in fact all those numbers are a little bit conservative. I don't know if that sounds like a lot of time or not very much time, I guess it depends on your perspective.

As you'll probably know I switched stance on the 170 in Exmouth two and a half years ago. And I still have a lot of work to do!
Hi Paul

What are the parameters you use to determine when something has sunk in?

I'd really like to know, because from those numbers I'm about 20 years behind in nailing anything :(

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

How do you cast?

Post by Paul Arden »

Really? I'm surprised. Maybe you just have raw talent then Lasse. In sport I've never really been talented; I've always had to put the work in.

And while I can pretend that I like this because it makes it feel more worthwhile, I would actually rather just have the talent!!!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”